Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 Issue Question

Old 09-16-2018, 06:40 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 Issue Question

I had a 6.6 volt A123 that displayed 3.6 and 3.4 volts for each cell using the charge balance cable, but using the other cable that went to the receiver it would show 0.0 and 5.4 volts for each cell.

Why?

Thanks

Scott
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Im guessing the 3.6 / 3.4 volts were read from a charger . The cells charge to 3.6 so the reading is normal. Then drops to 3.3 with load.
​​​​5.4 volts would be the two cells in series. It should read closer to 6.6. 5.4 is to low. The 0.0 reading i dont know. Maybe you read some empty pins.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, The wire going to the receiver may be missing the white wire or you are going to you switch monitor plug that does not have the white wire. Check it. Dan..
Old 09-16-2018, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

The wire going to the receiver is the series voltage.

If it has a white wire its not hooked up to anything in the battery, its just using servo cable, some batteries use that, some 2 wire but in any case the signal wire isn't hooked up to anything.

What you're seeing is exactly how it should work
Old 09-16-2018, 12:01 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all,

No charger in the equation. I agree with the idea that all is correct except for the voltage coming from the receiver wire. There is only positive and negative wire going to the receiver connector. I think the voltage at the receiver connecter should be more than 5.4. It should at least be 6.6 with the two individual voltages recorded with a load.

the big picture is the plane was flying okay and then went nuts and into the only thing it could find besides sky. �� My radio is okay as I flew another plane right away. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except the receiver battery which is why I question the voltage at the receiver connector

Scott
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

It's a 2 cell pack, either you're getting the series voltage at the connector (6.6v or so) OR there's something wrong with the battery or wiring between the battery and the receiver plug.

The fastest way to check is plug the balance plug into a cell checker or good charger and see what both cells are reading.

For the record, 5.4v wouldn't make any modern receiver got nuts, thats what you'd see with a 4 cell pack UNLESS its being pulled down below 3v or so with a load on it.