Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Back in the saddle - need education on battery flight

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Back in the saddle - need education on battery flight

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 05:48 AM
C17Mooseload

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle - need education on battery flight

First off - thank you in advance. I have been out of the hobby for about 14 years and am getting back in. I kept my skills up flying micro helis, park flyers and larger drones over the years but want something bigger and more fun again. I am very familiar with nitro powered helicopters and aircraft, but with the advances and ease of maintenance I am going to give battery powered flight a go. That said, I am looking for a crash (pun intended) course on selection of battery chargers / equipment. I picked up the HH V22 and plan to do some EDF, and am looking for advice on battery chargers/accessories. Looking at IDST q6+ and T8 as I’m figuring it’s good to have a charger I can use on the bench and in the field. Can I get some recommendations / maybe some links to educate myself on what connectors / accessories / bench power supply’s are required to not damage the equipment. I’m a crusty old loadmaster in the AF, so hoping it’s nothing I need a degree in electrical engineering to understand. :-)

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you got no replies so I'll chime in. I have been using a 4-port balancing type charger with built-in power supply that has 80 watts capacity per channel. It can charge four battery packs at a time up to six cell (6S) lipos in different modes including basic charge, balanced charge, storage charge, discharge settings. It can also charge Nimh and lead/acid batteries. It can run off 110vac or 12volt power supplies or 12 volt car batteries. You can find similar chargers on Amazon and a few hobby supplier's websites. That said, the "experts" on RC Groups generally prefer popular name brand higher wattage chargers that require separate power supplies. The "experts" use parallel charging boards to balance charge a number of same size/cell-count lipo packs at a time. This is useful for those who need to charge a number of high cell-count/capacity lipo packs for larger helicopters and EDF models. My four port charger charges a dozen Lipo batteries, the night before, for a morning to noon flying session for my 40-60" wingspan scale built up and foam ARF models. Recommend you spend some time on the RC Groups Battery and Charger forum and peruse what the online hobby suppliers and Amazon are selling and read the reviews. Most of use own two or more chargers over time in the hobby. Also, recommend you buy a wattmeter/ampmeter to test actual amp draw of motors to avoid damage to motors. I bought a wattmeter from Motion RC. I recommend Motion RC as a supplier that is quick to replace anything that they sell that is defective. I have good results with their Admiral line of lipo batteries. Hope you enjoy the hobby and stick with it.

https://www.getfpv.com/ev-peak-cq3-multi-charger-4x-100w-nimh-lipo-with-built-in-balance.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp4189&sc_intid=4189&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitWK1_a-4gIVh-NkCh1KEQQKEAQYASABEgKNB_D_BwE

Last edited by E-Challenged; 05-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.