Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

I can't find a charger, so why do they sell this battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

I can't find a charger, so why do they sell this battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:51 AM
wyowilliam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't find a charger, so why do they sell this battery?

I bought one of these batteries https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...62101&_sacat=0 a while back hoping I could use it in an old R/C plane that used a 7.4v NiMh battery. The thing I don't get is that most of these 2s batteries I see also have a three-wire charging cable, and this one obviously doesn't. I CAN NOT find a charger that works with this, and in the description of how it charges simply makes my head hurt. So, without getting an electrical engineering degree and making my own, what am I supposed to do with this? Use it once and pitch it?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:18 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone gave me an off brand drone a few years ago. The battery was similar but was a funny connector that was charged through an included USB widget so no problem except for getting more batteries

Your battery has an uncommon to me connector. You can put another connector on it to fit common charging cables but won’t be able to balance but probably no big issue.

Not knowing what you are using the battery for, we probably can’t give any other advice

Regards

bob
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM
wyowilliam

I'm currently using it in an airsoft rifle, but want to use it in a cheap R/C plane I've had for years. (Figured the LiPo might get a little extra oomph out of the can motors in it - it is a 7.4v setup, so I assume it's compatible.) You said balancing wasn't a huge issue - I guess I assumed it was. I thought that was one of the ways you made a battery explode. All this in the listing made me nervous: "Charge Current: 500mAh To 4.2V; Charge Voltage :4.20+/-0.03V Charge Time : About 3 hours; Standard charging method: 0.5C CC (constant current) charge to 4.25V, then CV (constant voltage 4.2V) charge till charge current is less than or equal to 0.05CThe maximum charge current: 1C"
I barely understand half of what they are trying to get at there, and have no idea how I would accomplish it.

Last edited by wyowilliam; 01-18-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:30 AM
BelAirBob

If you have a decent charger, such as a Hitec, etc, it will do all the charging and monitoring automatically. Set for .5 A, LiPo and 2 cell and it does the rest

I balance my batteries when I charge, some people don’t. My humble opinion is that if you can’t balance the cells in a $10 small battery, it is nothing to worry about. Always be present when charging and always store LiPo batteries in a safe place

Regards
Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 AM
wyowilliam

I don't have any chargers outside of the 3.7v 1 cell chargers that usually come with the park flyers I have. This one battery is something I might, maybe, use a couple time a year so I was hoping to get something simple and cheap, especially since the battery itself was only $5. Everything I look at, though, is 3-pin so I don't know which wire I could conceivably eliminate in order to charge.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:44 PM
BelAirBob

You linked to a 2 cell so will need a charger taking 2 or more cells There are probably some inexpensive ones out there
Old 01-19-2020, 01:23 PM
wyowilliam

I found this on amazon - I figure if I replace the connector or find an adapter I should be set:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GQ3GSJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2FAWDLX6OD54Q&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GQ3GSJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2FAWDLX6OD54Q&psc=1

Thanks for all your help.