Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Where are the best deals for LiFePo batteries?

Old 10-06-2019, 09:59 AM
CVA34

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where are the best deals for LiFePo batteries?

Where are the best deals for LiFePo batteries? Has anyone built LiFePo batteries from individual cells?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:05 AM
ticedoff8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by CVA34 View Post
Where are the best deals for LiFePo batteries? Has anyone built LiFePo batteries from individual cells?
I don't have an answer, but I am curious. Just asking, but what is the use-case?
Google searching for LiFePo finds LiFePO 4 and LFP batteries. The specs on these batteries don't look great for RC fixed wing, drone or helicopters.
Is the LiFePo different?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:35 PM
CVA34

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From looking at how long you've ben a member here, you most probably have more experience than I with RC aircraft, which is the intended use for the LiFePo batteries. I don't like the high temperatures of LiPo batteries, and there are a few more reasons. Having worked in electronics all my life, starting with Advanced USN training & continuing through Final Testing of every circuit onboard new construction FFGs (Fast Guided Missle Frigates, 590' warships) I would like to think I have a basic grasp of electrical & electronic theory & practice. Not being any links or quotes of the info you viewed I haven't any idea regarding the validity of the information you are referring to. The specs CLAIMED for them, regardless of battery chemistry, are just like any other information off the internet; i.e., extremely suspect. Some call it "marketing strategy" but where I come from we call it LYING. The more exuberant the language in the claims made for products, the more possible it's untrue or at least highly exaggerated claims. After all, everyone knows the Earth isn't round OR flat, but triangular. Must be true, I read it on the internet.....
Old 10-08-2019, 01:03 PM
CVA34

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Building my own cells I don't have to worry about sufficiently sized cell-to-cell conductors, be they wire, tabs, whatever, quality of solder connections between cells, I can test the cell parameters & performance prior to assembly or rejection, and assemble to the physical dimensions required which may be limited by internal space of the fuselage, improved weight distribution in the airframe would be an advantage on some aircraft including the effect wind has on it, especially the foam aircraft which I've noticed get tossed around by even low speed wind. Ever plug in the scale dimensions AND weight (i.e., not just the airframe dimensions scaled down but also the weight) of a particular aircraft design being modeled? No wonder 3&6 axis gyro gear is on so many RC planes, if a full size fighter performed the way some RC planes do they'd never make it into production, never mind wasting resources on prototype construction.(For some reason it bothers some folks to have a desert full of dead test pilots...) And I don't charge myself ridiculous prices for a "custom" battery, either.

Last edited by CVA34; 10-08-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added information for clarity
Old 10-08-2019, 01:12 PM
CVA34

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In other words, I'm a penny pinching cheapskate.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:49 PM
tedsander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, you'll have to arrive at your own criteria for "best deal" - best construction, power to weight, price, etc.

I've used 3 "brands" -
Hobbyking, for aircraft I don't really care about, or non-flying applications (starter, fuel pump). Surprisingly, they've held up for over 3 years and still going strong.
Hobbico's "LifeSource" - also perform well, but irritate me, because they seem to go out of stock frequently, and the sizes keep changing (probably sourcing different manufacturers).
For my expensive planes - ElectroDynamics. (https://electrodynam.com/rc/EDNano/index.shtml) which claim to be "real" A123 cells. Heavens knows about that claim though, given the changes in ownership of A123.

Can't advise on where to get individual cells...
Old 10-11-2019, 04:59 PM
ticedoff8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery
Pros: They may not catch on fire after a crash or while over charging (less risk of thermal run away).
Cons: Lower voltage, higher internal resistance (low C-Rating for burst discharge) and higher costs

Just asking: What is the use case?
If you are putting around with a electric powered glider or a scale boat - I could see them being used there. They have a low C-Rated discharge and would work best in that use case.
They seem to be a "big thing" for the Ham Radio guys (a stack of 3 is 12v - almost a perfect replacement for a Lead Acid battery)

But, I've never seen them used as a motor battery in EDF, drones or helis.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 10-11-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use RedwingRC for LiFe batteries. Not sure about the po

David
Old 10-13-2019, 01:06 AM
architfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also need a 3000 MAH battery. plz suggest in India.