Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Reviews - Litco A4, FMA Supernova, Sirius Charge Pro & Ltd Edition & GP FFC.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Reviews - Litco A4, FMA Supernova, Sirius Charge Pro & Ltd Edition & GP FFC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:32 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviews - Litco A4, FMA Supernova, Sirius Charge Pro & Ltd Edition & GP FFC.

I thought I'd posted this already, but it looks like I didn't.
I either own or have owned each of these; my impressions of each one follows.

LITCO ALPHA 4
Strengths :
- Fast & slow charging, fast & slow cycling.
- Supports Nicads, NIMH, lead-acid and gel cells.
- Can do any combination of up to 4 batteries at once.
- Comes with AC adapter, or can be run off a 12V battery.

Weaknesses : Expensive! ($250 - $300)
- Waiting list to purchase.
- Limited to one amp of total output, divided by the qty. of ports in use. (If you're charging a TX and RX battery at the same time, the maximum current that can be delivered to both ports will be 500 ma.)

I have one of these. It's a great cycler, but the low maximum charge rate limits it to home/overnight use only. It is very flexible - I can charge or cycle a heli, transmitter, glow driver and starter battery at the same time, from one box.

FMA SUPERNOVA / DYMOND SUPER SMART CHARGE
Strengths :
- Fast & slow charging, fast & slow cycling.
- Can charge nicad, NIMH packs.
- Cheap! (the Dymond 'Super Smart Charge' is the identical unit - and sells for $30 bucks less than the FMA version)

Weaknesses :
- Single output - No simultaneous charging of TX and RX.
- Can be a little confusing to set and use.

I HAD one, sold it when my A4 arrived. (I thought the A4 was a fast charger. Mistake.)

SIRIUS CHARGE PRO
Strengths :
- Dual outputs - can fast charge TX and RX packs, or two RX packs simultaneously. (Charging two RX packs requires an $8 TX -> RX adapter)
- Charges at up to 1 amp per channel.
- Simple operation - nothing to set. Just plug it in and watch the lights.
- Basic battery diagnostic function detects and alerts you to packs with bad or reversed cells!
- Basic set of cables included. RX charge jack is universal, and allows you to plug in JR, Airt or Fut cords with no polarity issues.
- JR TX polarity reverser needed for JR transmitters ($8), or cut/reverse/resolder the wires yourself.
- Supports nicad, NIMH cells.
- Will Not Harm Anything If Plugged In Backwards! No blown TX fuses, no mented batteries, etc. It just won't turn on.

Weaknesses :
- Dedicated charger, no cycling features at all.
- Design quirk: Will deliver up to 1,000 mAh to the RX channel per charging cycle. (If you are charging a completely flat 1,700 mAh RX batt, you have to charge it twice.)

I have one of these and really like it... it resides permanently in my field box and gets heavy usage (my flying buddies like it also.)

SIRIUS CHARGE LIMITED EDITION
Strengths :
- Dual outputs - can fast charge two RX packs simultaneously.
- Charges at 2 amps per channel.
- Simple operation - nothing to set. Plug and play.
- Basic set of cables included. RX charge jack is universal, and allows you to plug in JR, Airt or Fut cords with no polarity issues.
- Like its brother above it also won't harm anything if plugged in backwards!

Weaknesses :
- Dedicated charger, no cycling features at all.
- Charges at a fixed 2 amps per channel. This is too high a charge rate for smaller capacity nicad & NIMH packs (> 1000 mAh)
- Each output can charge 3-6 cells, so it cannot be used to charge a transmitter pack. Unless you fly MPX.

I haven't had this one for very long. I primarily use it as a supplement to the Alpha 4 when I need to charge large capacity batteries.

GREAT PLANES FAST FIELD CHARGER
Strengths :
- Dual outputs - can fast charge TX and RX simultaneously.
- Simple to use - only settings are for 4 or 5 cell rx packs.
- CHEAP. (Under $60, IIRC)

Weaknesses :
- Fixed charge rate (750 mAh) is too high for small RX packs (>250 mAh) and too slow for quick-charging big packs (<1000 mAh)
- Trickle charge rate after peak-detect is 200 mAh!!! Too high for small packs.
- Dedicated charger only; no cycling feature.
- Nicads only! The peak-charge detecting circuit is not very sensitive. Will overheat and destroy NIMH packs, guaranteed.
- Reverse polarity protection is a fuse. If the fuse blows and you have no spare you're done for the day.
- Questionable build quality. Mine had weak main power leads and a loose capacitor on the main board out of the box. Fixed with a bit of solder, but jeez!

This was my first quick field charger. Gave it away it after it blew up (!!) a $50 1200 mAh Hydrimax pack and scorched the fuselage of the sailplane it was mounted in

---

IMHO, for field charging, the Sirius Pro is the best bet. It has dual outputs, charges nicad & NIMH packs, and is near bulletproof for usage. My Sirius Limited Edition charger is very nice, but stays at home as it can't be used to charge TX packs - and the guys at the field all-too-frequently borrow mine to charge their transmitters wot they forgot to charge the night before.

The Supernova/SuperSmart Charge is an excellent product. This unit has a lot of important features and is priced very well. If you can deal with only charging one pack at a time, this is a good way to go.

The Alpha 4 really shouldn't be considered as a fast charger. I've also noticed that it has a tendency to not always detect peak and terminate when fast charging multiple large capacity packs. Nnngh! Gotta watch that.

As for the Great Planes FFC, well... if you use standard capacity (500 - 1000 mAh) nicad packs and unplug them once it's done charging and don't use NIMH packs, it's OK. Better than nothing

Yak, yak, yak. That's enough for now.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:28 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reviews - Litco A4, FMA Supernova, Sirius Charge Pro & Ltd Edition & GP FFC.

amazing post, thank you for taking the time for sharing your info.

I wish others would do the same and share their input like you just did

regards

matt
Old 10-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Reviews - Litco A4, FMA Supernova, Sirius Charge Pro & Ltd Edition & GP FFC.

Visioneer_One:

Thanx for the info....I have a Sirius pro charger with a Radio Shack 3 amp power supply (recommeded by Sirius) and a Sirius Super Tester. These units are what the doctor ordered..I love them both...My entire fleet of planes ,I used 1650 NIMH batteries...I charge them with my pro series unit, using the 1000ma setting..The charger also has the 2000ma,and the 500ma switches..Haven't had to use them because I don't have batteries that small or larger than what I mention..So far,so good..As for the Super tester,I discharge my batteries (1650ma) using the 250 ma switch..I find this is a much truer reading then using the 500ma switch...Again,so far ,so good.....For me,this is a very good combination for the batteries I use and I intend to stick with it....No failures yet....Just my 2 cents worth

Thanx again.......................
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 AM
visioneer_one

I charge them with my pro series unit, using the 1000ma setting..The charger also has the 2000ma,and the 500ma switches
Mine must be the older version, as my ranges are 250/500/1000.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:29 PM
The PIPE

Default WHOOPS, there, Visioneer...

Dear Visioneer_one:

The PIPE Here yet again-and you DID leave out the FMA SuperNova's ability to charge ANY lead acid battery for RC hobby use, all the way up to 12 volts!

I make GREAT usage of the FMA unit's ability to charge lead acid/gelcell powered gear...both my 12 volt 3 amp/hr "attached" electric starter battery, AND the 2 volt-5 amp/hr Hawker Energy lead acid battery powered "German-ium Secret Glowplug Weapon" of mine for engine ignition, DEPEND on the SuperNova's "Pb" charging function!!!

I'm familiar about how the Dymond version DID leave out the lead acid charging setup to allow for down to 100 mA discharging of smaller NiCad and NiMH batteries, while the SuperNova DOES require a 500 mA MINIMUM discharge rate on nickel based cells.

I'd LOVE to see a dual output FMA SuperNova before too long...maybe one could be coming???

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: WHOOPS, there, Visioneer...

I have the Alpha 4 and the SuperNova.

The SuperNova is a good fast charger, BUT, the programmings SUCKS! I'm a programmer for a living, and I can't work this thing consistently.

I wisht he SuperNova was as easy to program as the Alpha, then we would have something.

Regarsd,
Lee[8D]
Old 10-16-2003, 05:19 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Clay:

I sent my Sirius charger in and had them upgrade it....That's why my I have the 2000, 1000, 500ma switches on it...I had the older version,until I got it upgraded...Give them a call....
Old 10-16-2003, 09:39 AM
visioneer_one

ORIGINAL: The PIPE
I'm familiar about how the Dymond version DID leave out the lead acid charging setup to allow for down to 100 mA discharging of smaller NiCad and NiMH batteries, while the SuperNova DOES require a 500 mA MINIMUM discharge rate on nickel based cells.
I had the Dymond version - that's why I didn't mention it. I knew the differences between the two, but at the time I was flying HLGs and needed the ability to safely charge and cycle 110-250 mAh nicad packs. Now I'm using the 300 and 720 mAh NIMH packs in those planes - twice the (respective) capacity and less weight!

I have my eye on the Miniron charger that Aerografixs is planning to import. 5 ports, charges/discharges/cycles all battery types, 2A total output, and can be set to process each port sequentially or simultaneously...
Old 10-16-2003, 10:27 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visioneer, nice review, very comprehensive. The only thing I would add to the negatives of the sirius chargers is there is no data display....which is a big negative. Knowing what is going into your packs is a great way to detect problems before they become large enough to cost you a model.

Recently at a jet rally, one of the engine reps noticed that my engine sounded funny, he assisted with my start and using the ground control unit, determined that I had a bad rear bearing. Sure enough on the next charge for my ECU pack, the pack needed 35% more mah than was usual. This is the reason I charge this pack after every flight. Had I not been at the jet event, the only indication that I had a problem would be the elevated charging of the ECU pack...and that would have saved me from a really expensive repair and possible flame out. The sirius chargers would have given no such indication.

I use 2 Orbit V6's for field charging and an A4 for management at home.