Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Duralite vs Powerflite?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralite vs Powerflite?

Guys,
I don't see much discussion about this, but I was wondering why Powerflites appear to cost more than Duralite batteries in general.
I see PowerFlite's website says that they use ONLY "brand new cells, UNLIKE the competition".
Does Duralite at times sell USED cells? I would think not.
Basically I'm asking if Powerflite is a better product than Duralite?

Finally,
I like the fact that Duralite sells different battery "packages" for different applications. The packages come with IGN battery, Rx battery, charger, failsafe switches AND regulators.
Does Powerflite offer such packages? I did not see them listed on their website.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Gil R Major

Default RE: Duralite vs Powerflite?

Paul,

I have been using the PowerfLights for almost a year, and I am pleased, very pleased. Give Bryan or Kevin a call at PowerfLight, they will answer all your questions, I know they have answered all of mine. I cannot speak to the Duralites as I have never used them, but I have friends who do, Futaba vs JR. PowerfLight will build to your needs. When in Dallas I stop by there shop, and they always have something in the works in the way of a special order; building something for one person's needs, which they have done for me. Give them a call.

Gil
Old 11-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Yakdude
My Feedback: (2)

Hello,

I run Duralite plus batteries in all my planes now. All I can say is that the performance has been outstanding. Emory at Duralite has given me the best service I have ever had in 20 years in this hobby bar none.

Lawrence
Old 11-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Paul,
I couldn't say why Powerflight charges more. I can say that I use the Duralite Plus battery system and couldn't be more happy with it. The Duralite Plus batteries come with a charge safe circuit that is not found on any other hobby battery that I am aware of. After using these for over two years in my RadioCraft 330 without any issues whatsoever, I can tell you that I couldn't be happier with them. I like the fact that there is protection on the packs to prevent the possibility of overcharge from a malfunctioning charger. It gives me peace of mind especially with the amount of money I have invested in my plane. I will be building a larger airplane in the future and will be using the new Duralite Plus Power Box along with a pair of 4000's to go on it. As far as Powerflight selling new batteries, I would surely hope so, but the fact is that so does Duralite Plus. As far as I'm concerned, nobody builds a safer higher quality pack than Duralite Plus, and after using them for over two years, I know where I'll be keeping my trust... with Duralite Plus! I stick with what I know is safe, and what has been proven to work, and what performs... it couldn't be any clearer for me. [8D]
Old 11-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Paul Cataldo

Thanks fellas,
I think I'll be investing in one of the Duralite packages soon too.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:07 AM
isaac
My Feedback: (19)

I wouldn't be so quick to buy Duralite.
I invested over $1000 for the Duralite batteries, which turn out to be, used ones with expiration date under the shrink rap. Then they came with the Duralite Plus. Who is to say that they are not the same scheme? They where willing to give you some replacement value, why not replace them all with the new ones if you lied the first time.

Isaac
Old 11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Aero330LX

Isaac,
I don't know where you get your information from, but if you are claiming that Duralite Plus sold used cells to people that bought them as new, you need serious help! I happen to know the guy who runs that buisness and he is an honest guy, and treats people right. He does not and has not ever sold used cells to people. He also does not lie about his products. The only thing in your post (still misleading) that has any credibilty at all is the fact that he offered upgrades to previous customers which BTW, was out of HIS pocket! The reason? The manufacturer of the original Duralite cells backed out on a contract and left him out to dry with none of the cells that were promised and then stopped producing them. I was a Original Duralite User and guess what? I still am! I still have original Duralites that still work perfectly today. I also use the Duralite Plus and as I stated in the previous post they have worked flawlessly and still do. I don't have a clue what the motive behind your last post was, but if all you want to do is come on here and attack a reputable place of buisness...one that has the best product on the market, I suggest that you come on here with something to back up your statements. It may surprise you to know that there are 1000's of users of these batteries out there and all of the ones I have met love these batteries. It sounds like you expected a free ride just because a product had been discontinued and are now trying to attack them online because you didn't. Well, I can tell you that that stuff don't work, and people see right through it just like I did. Before you come on here trying to ruin a company next time you might wanna think twice. If you have a a very real problem with a company and have some proof of that that is fine, but don't come on here trying to ruin people's livlihood because your trying to get something for nothing! [>:]
Old 11-18-2003, 07:34 AM
isaac

Aero330lx
First I think you need to learn how to read(major help you need there). I didn't say Duralite plus, I said Duralite.
I could care less that you know the guy, means nothing to me. If you happy with the batteries you purchase, good for you. I have Duralite batteries that where purchase new and they are ten years old.
If you want I’ll send you pictures that will show the dates. Then you are going to eat your words. So don't jump to high.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Aero330LX

Original: issac

I wouldn't be so quick to buy Duralite.
I invested over $1000 for the Duralite batteries, which turn out to be, used ones with expiration date under the shrink rap. Then they came with the Duralite Plus. Who is to say that they are not the same scheme? They where willing to give you some replacement value, why not replace them all with the new ones if you lied the first time.

Isaac

ORIGINAL: isaac

Aero330lx
First I think you need to learn how to read(major help you need there). I didn't say Duralite plus, I said Duralite.
I could care less that you know the guy, means nothing to me. If you happy with the batteries you purchase, good for you. I have Duralite batteries that where purchase new and they are ten years old.
If you want I’ll send you pictures that will show the dates. Then you are going to eat your words. So don't jump to high.
Actually isaac,
I think it would be to your advantage to learn how to read! To help you, I posted your re:'s (see above). YOU said, and I quote "I invested over $1000 for the Duralite batteries, which turn out to be, used ones with expiration date under the shrink rap." Those batteries were not used...I don't care what you say. The date code does not help your case. Like I said before, if you have some proof that those batteries were sold used, please, by all means, let's hear it! I think all of us would be interested to hear just how many cycles they were put through before you recieved them. I think it remains to be seen who is gonna eat their words, and nobody is jumping here...just straightening out some of the BS that litters the Internet.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:37 PM
isaac

Why don't you stop with your gibberish? The Duralite batteries had short life because they where sold in the end of their life expectancy. I purchased new ones, which start failing in less then a year with less then 50 cycles. So stop being a salesman for old and maybe used product.
I would like to see how long the Duralite Plus would hold. Until I’ll have a data of couple of years I would not spend my money there. As far is 1000's of people using them because half of them get it for free.
So let's stop the gibberish and protect the fellow modelers from cheaters. I’m telling you my experience and my opinion as you entitle to yours.At least you agree that they were old and expired(so much for honest company). As far is the Internet, the best platform to catch bad business owners and cheaters.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Aero330LX

Hi Isaac,
For one thing you have a very negative view of what is going on around you. You can call my posting here gibberish or whatever you want, but again, I ask you the same question...What proof do you have that these packs were used?!? So far you haven't offered a shred of evidence to support that! As far as 1/2 of the people getting Duralites for free, that is laughable! How many buisnesses could stay in buisness giving away half of their products? I find it funny that I used the same batteries that you said you bought, and am still using them and haven't had any problems with them. I also know of many others that used them for two years plus without any issues. I also know 'of' top level pilots who used them over two years without any issues...none of these people complained about life. It looks to me like you are changing your tune and are now trying to back away from the statement that these packs were sold to you used. Now, were they or were they not sold to you used, and if they were, what proof do you have of that? You can say what you want, and try to imply that people are cheaters or what have you, but the fact is, that the people that run Duralite Plus are honest people, and the 1000's of people that are running them already know that...alot of those folks were original Duralite users like myself. Like I said, I don't know why you have an axe to grind with this company, and at this point I really don't care, and I'm also sure that most are tired of reading this BS. So, again, and hopefully this will be the last time this is asked... What proof if any do you have that these packs were sold to you used? If your gonna come on here making rediculous claims like this come on here with some facts and stop spouting off BS.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM
isaac

Check out the date
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11206.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	75681  
Old 11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Paul Cataldo

I realize that we may have not made it to the "bottom" of this issue yet, but this is exactly why I posted the question on these batteries. I know of many people who are happy with Duralite's, BUT I also know of many who are VERY UNHAPPY with them. Many claims of old products that were sold as "new".
Old 11-18-2003, 05:38 PM
isaac

Tell this to aero330. He is in a sells pitch for Duralite and he doesn’t know of any unhappy customers. If they were so good why come up with new one the Duralite Plus.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:43 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

isaac,

What's the significance of the date stamp? Can you explain why the date shown proves the batteries are used? I don't own any of these batteries, I'm just curious.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:52 PM
isaac

I think that the choice of words "used" was incorect. The date proof that they were "old", thus making their life span very short.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:06 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I see, your argument is that you were sold OLD batteries, not USED batteries. I still had USED on my mind from Paul Cataldo's initial post. Thanks for the clarification. By the way, does anyone know what is the shelf life of Li-Po batteries (if stored properly)?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Aero330LX

Hi,
I will stop responding to 'isaac' as it's apparent he only has an axe to grind as is trying to ruin a buisness, but for the rest, I think there needs to be some mis-information straightened out. The batteries that 'isaac' showed have a date code of 6 00...hardly 10 years old as this is just now 2003. Those cells were manufatcured a little over 3 years and 4 months ago. The cells have a shelf life of 10 years +. The fact that they do have a shelf life of 10+ years is well documented on the Internet and can be found by anyone using a seach engine. I think it's pretty clear by his own admission that the cells were not sold used as I already knew before he ever posted. I think it's also clear that Duralite Plus the same company that sold the orginal Duralites does not sell used batteries. I think it's also much clearer now, that they do not lie about their products, and do not 'cheat' people. These guys are modelers just like the rest of us, and they put out a damn good product...in fact, I wouldn't think of using anything else in my planes, and I fly some very expensive planes. There are other people who use the packs in 10,000 dollar jets! 'isaac' can call me a salesman all he wants, but the fact is I buy all my stuff from them just like everybody else. If I thought for a minute any of this was true I would think twice about using them. I have no reservations of any kind using their products. They provide us with a great product (the only Li battery system I know that is actually safe), they stand behind it, and in fact they even have a warranty on their batteries...find a place that offeres that? I would also like to address the question that issac posed (I am in no way directed this toward him, but the facts again need to be addressed by what he was implying). The reason that Duralite came out with the plus packs is very simple...Tadiran, the makers of the original cells that Duralite used, stopped producing them. They then went to Li-ion technology so that they could provide the modelling community with batteries that will exist for a very long time. They also incorporated the charge safe circuitry into these packs. There may very well be some people that are not satified with them, I didn't say there wasn't... I said that there was nobody that I knew personally or knew 'of' that was not satified...big difference. You can't please everybody, but I think if you look at the majority that use these, and have followed the directions that come with them, you will see that they are very satisfied with them. The reason for all these posts is simple...I get very tired of reading BS where people that have a personal problem come on here and think this is an avenue for them to exact revenge on companies. I can understand it if there is a valid complaint with a product and it wasn't recitified, but in this case I think it's very obvious what this guy is trying to do now. I find it amusing that he talks of companies 'lying' when in fact he has been caught in not one but two lies already in this thread...one being the fact that the cells were not used and only after 3 re:'s did he come clean about that fact when he knew he didn't have a shread of proof, and the second being the remark about the cells being ten years old. I don't know exactly the date they were purchased, but they haven't been on the market for about a year and a half, so they couldn't have been more than 1 and 1/2 years old. He never mentioned calling Duralite either, which leads me to believe that there is alot more to this story that he is telling. I know Emory, and I know he stands behind this stuff, so there must be more to it. If I were a betting man, i would say that the batteries were discharged below their recomended cutoff, because they were not load tested or they were not load tested after every flight thus not 'catching' them in time.

ptgarcia,
like was just said in the post above the shelf life is 10+ years, and this is very easy to find out by doing a search on the Internet. It is on MANY sites that have sold these batteries, and other sites that have used these batteries such as robotics projects, etc... I think you will find this well documented.

I was not jumping on isaac, but was jumping on the fact that he was trying to do damage to a buisness without just cause. That is the only reason I got in the midst of this. The people that run this comapany happen to be very nice people, and they are honest, and I think it's a shame that they were portrayed in the way isaac chose to. Like I said in other posts, I don't mind negative posts or complaints when they are justified, but this is nothing more than attempt to ruin people's rep's...and for what reason I don't know, and really don't care...it's obvious that it had nothing to do with the man's buisness dealings.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:28 PM
isaac

You still with your gibberish. The date on the batt is the expiration date. Meaning they where on the shelve for over 9 years and then they sold them. I did talk to Duralite people, what they had to offer in the trade didn't impress me. Finally just for the record I use only NiCad from the leading company in NiCad but I will not mention the name so I will not sound like a used car salesmen.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 PM
RDespins

YAWN. Take it elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:34 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Sorry to say but the fact is many of us got burned on the original duralites.Mine only lasted 8 months and they would not take a charge-800.00 down the drain.I am sure the current system has many happy owners but for some of us it is hard to trust the name after what we went through.Just my two cents.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
isaac

Maybe we can have the owner of Duralite explain why we don't get replacment on all the bad batteries they sold.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Aero330LX

How about taking it elsewhere like RDespin's suggested. The horse is dead...you can stop beating it now. People use this forum for useful info. they don't want to drown in useless BS! [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Paul Cataldo

I am actually glad to hear of people's experiences, BUT I say this because I am more excited to hear of how the new Duralite's are apparently good investments, AND the problem looks like it has been solved...
Hope everyone has cooled down now. I just want to make a good investment for my new 33% plane. I'm new to Lithium Ions, and appreciate the info.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Yakdude
My Feedback: (2)

Paul,

I never tried the earlier Duralite series battery so I can not comment on them. I can tell you that I have 250 flights on a 35% Fiberclassics Extra with the Plus series with no problems what so ever. The batteries check out today as fresh as the day they were installed. I have a 27% Texas Hurricane that runs Duralite Plus batteries with over a hundred flights. I recently finished a 42% AW Ultimate and it runs them. My next plane a 42% Extra and will also run them. I could run what ever type battery I want but would not run anything else. I would e-mail Emory with your phone number and talk to him. As I have said previously his customer support is outstanding.

Lawrence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.