Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can New Tenergy 4500mAh Propels compare to the big brands?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can New Tenergy 4500mAh Propels compare to the big brands?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can New Tenergy 4500mAh Propels compare to the big brands?

How would the new [link=http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1991]Tenergy Propel[/link] cells compare to the big name batteries like IB,GP, and EP? I just got a BL system and am thinking of getting some new batts sometime soon. I was going to use these in a 7 cell SxS configuration.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Can New Tenergy 4500mAh Propels compare to the big brands?

I would guess that a 7 cell would perform like a high quality 6 cell in a BL system.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
pede_187

Why does a SxS perform better than a stick pack?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
nikg

Pede Kid--- I had the same question a while ago, and I think I know the answer. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off base

Let's assume you have two sets of 6 cells that are completely identical as far as capacity, runtime, internal resistance etc.
You take one set of 6 and make a stick pack, and you take the other set and make a SXS pack.
Because the cells are identical in performance, the performance of the pack comes down to the construction.
In consumer market stick packs the cells are connected to each other by thin tabs that are spot welded to the cells. This is not very good for the high current draw required by high performance motors.
Most SXS packs connect cells using heavy gauge battery bars that are soldered to the cells. This allows much better connections, allows more current to flow and reduces heat at the connection points.

That's about it in a nutshell. The nature of the way SXS packs are constructed typically means they will outperform stick packs even if the exact same cells are used.

A few more things.
First, if cells in stick packs are soldered together and a battery bar is used to connect the double sticks, then the performance is much better. These packs are usually hand built.
Second, SXS packs often start with matched cells, so the playing field is not even from the beginning. In addition, SXS construction allows racers to treat (charge/discharge) the cells individually. This can be vital in balancing everything out and getting top performance.

If you are thinking of building your own packs or having them built, then go with SXS if they will fit your application. Easier to build, better performance, and more flexibility.