Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Walmart 12V Lawn Battery Ok To Charge With At Field?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Walmart 12V Lawn Battery Ok To Charge With At Field?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 04:13 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart 12V Lawn Battery Ok To Charge With At Field?

Wal Mart has a Lawn/motorcycle Small 12v battery they are about twice the size as the 12v 7amphr batteries sold at the lhs I think 150 or 250 cold crankink amps for about $20.00.

Is this ok to use this with the Super Dymond to fast charge 700 to 1100 mhr batterys at the field?

I guess it has better capacity to do this than the 12v 7amphr?

I know deep cycle batteries are better but are much larger and heavier and about 60.00.

Thanks, Dennis Spyridakos
Old 03-02-2003, 05:46 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely... Any 12V battery will work... The only considerations would be the simple fact that this maybe a WET battery and secondly the capacity rating. I prefer to use the sealed batteries for safety reasons. No chance of spilling the acid/water and no venting considerations when charging and or connecting components to the battery.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:00 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I have never enjoyed the "wet" battery I have been carrying around, so recently replaced it with a 12volt 17ampere hour "Jumpstart" device. This has it's own automatic charger and is a sealed battery and was $60 CDN which could be $35-40$ US. I would consider that if it's available. Come back from the field, plug it in the wall. Take it off charge in 5 or 12 hours and ready to go. It even has a test function so you wouldn't have to charge it every time.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes, I have seen people use Gel Cells, Lawn and garden batts, motorcycle, bats, car bats, and deep cycle marine bats.

In my trailer, I use a deepcycle marine because it is less effected by being stored partially charged (this is what I am told!)
Old 03-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Thanks, Dennis
Old 03-04-2003, 01:28 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I bought a 12V Excite lawn and garden battery at K Mart last spring. The battery works great, lasts a LONG time. I'll admit it's a little larger and heavier than usual but for between $15-19 on sale you can't beat it. Going into the second season it is still running as strong as when new.