Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help with Hobbico multi charger

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help with Hobbico multi charger

Old 05-27-2002, 03:11 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Hobbico multi charger

I like overnight chargers with multi stations and variable mah outputs. I bought the hobbico multi charger with 4 stations and variable output switches. the outputs vary from 10mah to 500 mah. This charger worries me, here's why-- I have 2 new 2400mah sanyo packs 4.8 volts each. I started to charge one on the 250 mah setting thinking this is close enough to C10. The starting voltage on the pack was just under 4.8 after about 15 minutes I decided to feel the pack, it was pretty warm I checked the voltage and it was 5.9 I immediately disconnected the pack. It did the same to the other pack. The voltage straight out of the charger was 17.4 which seemed ok being it hooked to no batteries. I don't feel comfortable with this. I have an old Ace HD500 which works great. I continued the chaging at 250mah with the HD and there was no problem WHAT'S UP with this charger
should I throw it away, can you recommend a multi stationed overnighter with variable outputs? By the way I also did a current readout and it was 256, which shouldn't have been a problem.
Please let me know Thank you
Frank A Rega
Old 05-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Hobbico multi charger

The Hobbico Multi Charger IMO is a piece of #$@%. I had a brand new one that almost burned my shop down a few years ago. Like you, I hooked it up and went on my merry way. Sevral hours later I checked on it and the shrink wrap on a pack I was charging had melted. The pack was too hot to touch. I checked the charge current, and found it was in excess of 500ma on the low switch setting. I email Tower to compalin and was met with an I don't care attitude. After several phone calls and emails I gave up. I trashed the Multi Charger and now have several different QUALITY chargers. That and other experiences with Hobbico electronics in general has led me to view Hobbico electronics as questionable.

Vince
Old 05-28-2002, 02:24 AM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hobbico

I had a similar experience with my 4yr old Hobbico Accu-cycle plus. Bought a new 6volt receiver battery for my new project-high quality battery and cost over $50. Hooked it up to the Accu-cylcle and left it like I usually do. Fortunately, I checked on it about an hour later -it was too hot to touch! This obviously will reduce the life of this expensive battery and make me leary about using it. Needless to say, yesterday I ordered a Super Turbo. Not sure whether to have the Hobbico serviced or not-might be good money after bad.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:17 PM
savage-man
My Feedback: (6)

Default Ace DigiPulse

How about the Ace Digipulse? Anyone had any experiences with this charger? The Digipulse is three times as expensive as the Hobbico Multi-Charger @ $90 for 6 outlets. But if the Hobbico is a piece of junk, I'll have to go with the Digipulse. Anyone have any suggestions for other multichargers?

Thanks, Franz