Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can a bad battery damage your charger?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can a bad battery damage your charger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 01:02 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a bad battery damage your charger?

As an example, let's say you've been using only wall warts to charge your batteries. Over the years you've accumulated a drawer full of weak batteries no longer suited for aircraft use. Now you read on various forums that people have actually revived their old batteries by using modern, smart chargers. The question is- should you attempt to charge an old, possibly damaged battery with your brand new, expensive , computer charger? Is there a way to know which batteries are suffering from crystal effects and which are damaged (shorted...etc.)?

A new Super Turbo should be arriving UPS today and my drawer full of throwaways awaits Thanks for your usual great advice!
Old 05-31-2002, 04:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Can a bad battery damage your charger?

There is no charger made that will revive old batteries. Trying to charge an old, faulty, shorted pack will not harm your computer charger.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:16 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default revival???

No it won't hurt your charger. If your going to use them in your cordless phone, flashlight etc go ahead and try it. If your thinking of using them in your plane is it worth the cost of the plane to find out it only liked like it revived them?