Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Repair Service on Triton

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Service on Triton

Well, Tower/Great Planes does it again. I generally have had no complaint with Tower. I have sent a couple of items in for repair and it was done with no real problems for a reasonable price, but that was a few years ago. Recently I sent a Triton charger in for repair. I had owned it for about a year when it would no longer recognize batteries attached to it. I just got an email from them stating that it was not economically feasible to repair and they would replace it. I eagerly scanned the page, expecting $50, or maybe $60 to replace. Well, my eyes fixed on a price of $100 to replace it, of course with an additional $8 charge to ship it. So, in their generosity, I will only pay $108 to repair/replace a charger that costs $129 retail, sometimes less on sale. I'm sure the charge is well above the wholesale price of the thing. My Astroflight 110D was repaired for $25 at about the same time as the Triton. My Hitec Eclipse was repaired for free, and it was out of warranty. I guess I'll just have to more strictly patronize those retailers that do right by us.

See my final post for the resolution to this.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:30 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Repair Service on Triton

that charger is more complex to fix. There is probably 2 hrs labor ($ 40 per hr.)+ parts. I would just buy a new charger. $ 129.00 - $10.00 coupon + sh + free item and you get a new charger with a 1 warranty. Or look for a used charger on Ebay. I personally don't like that charger. I have the TEKIN 112C.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Jim Schwagle

There's no use beating a dead horse but...

That charger probably costs them between $40 and $60 to import (maybe less since they are the manufacturers). Wholesale cost to businesses is probably around $90 (my guess on both numbers, but people in the business tell me those are fair guesses), and they want to charge me $100 to replace it. In effect, they are making more than they would get if I went to a hobby shop and bought it. They, of course can charge what they like but I'm not sure I would do business that way. I ordered a Schulze ISL6-330D last night. I would rather put $100 toward that, than another Triton.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:21 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that unit is having chronic problems, you could ask for a replacement instead of repair.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Jim Schwagle

As my first post indicated, they said it was uneconomical to repair and their offer of $100 was to replace it.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Jim Schwagle

I've since exhanged emails with Bax from Hobby Services and he has taken care of this to my complete satisfaction. In fact, he actually went further than I expected, so my initial post should now read that in the end, all was well.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Captain351

Sounds to me like it pays to complain about a manufacture's poor service on RC Universe. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

After all this forum reaches a lot of modelers and that kind of negative feed back could eventually hurt their sales.