Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

12volt rig-up for my CD player for flying music

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

12volt rig-up for my CD player for flying music

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:13 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 12volt rig-up for my CD player for flying music

Perhaps someone can give me an idea. My wife bought a portable CD box for my birthday for playing music while I fly. Unfortunately it has only a 220volt input or 12volts with batteries. There is no plug for a 12volt source other than the battery compartment. We do have a 12volt power source at the flying stations and I would like to know if I can, using alligator clips or whatever, make some sort of rig to avoid a belly full of batteries. It is made to hold 2 rows of 4 D cell batteries. Could I just attach the a positive cable to the positive terminal of one row and the negative to the negative of the other row? Is there a nicer way that Icould rig something for use at the field? If I was not rebuilding a 100 year old house I would just get something different and use this in my shop, but money IS an object right now (darn).

Thanks much,
Mark
Old 06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 12volt rig-up for my CD player for flying music

What you suggested will work. If there is a place you could install a 2 terminal socket, just solder a wire from each of these two points to the socket and then plug in 12 volts via a mating connector. To be safe, make sure the socket and mating plug are polarized so you wont inadvertently plug it in with reversed polarity. Even an old phone jack can be used for this.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:18 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I'll go ahead and test the thing and then do as you suggest with a soldered terminal and polarized adapter. Maybe I can neatly install the plug into the battery cover.

Mark
Old 06-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarkNovack

Perhaps someone can give me an idea. My wife bought a portable CD box for my birthday for playing music while I fly. Unfortunately it has only a 220volt input or 12volts with batteries. There is no plug for a 12volt source other than the battery compartment. We do have a 12volt power source at the flying stations and I would like to know if I can, using alligator clips or whatever, make some sort of rig to avoid a belly full of batteries. It is made to hold 2 rows of 4 D cell batteries. Could I just attach the a positive cable to the positive terminal of one row and the negative to the negative of the other row? Is there a nicer way that Icould rig something for use at the field? If I was not rebuilding a 100 year old house I would just get something different and use this in my shop, but money IS an object right now (darn).

Thanks much,
Mark

Have you considered simply using a small MP3 player. I have one that hangs from my neck, weighs about one ounce and works from a single AAA battery.

download musinc from your computer.

Roger