Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How many chargers do you have?/Whats your favorite?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How many chargers do you have?/Whats your favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 AM
crownvic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many chargers do you have?/Whats your favorite?

You mean China dont you?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM
ZapRC

ZapRC,

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.
Thanks ! I have made quite a few different models, but this is by far the most popular. I can even install a small disco ball inside. no kidding.

ZapRc

Do you have a picture of a Schulze installed in your box?
How big is the power supply in box?
Is it big enough to allow the Schulze or Triton to charge at there max?
verry cool idea.
I have not installed a Schulze yet but it won't be difficult. I can get a varity of box sizes to fit just about any charger combination. As far as the power supply goes......Bigger is better and the one in the picture is 12v 17A. I can get even larger amp ratings if needed. Cooling is not a problem either.

The only limitation (when charging from inside your car) can your car battery take on a schulze and a Triton at their max ratings? The voltage on the battery might drop below 10.5v which is where the Triton cuts off. You might have to leave the car running for those kind of numbers. That is OK since you can charge while driving.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:55 AM
[email protected]

I don't know if this is a plane thread but I run cars & trucks -- lots of them. I charge ten 7.2V batteries at a time all day long five days a week. 30 batts total as they cool under fans before recharge. Batts are mostly nicad 1500 - 3000 but now nimh 3000. I don't have any 'paper weights' because the constant use burns em out. I have boxes of burned out chargers (not Alphas or Tritons) I run a summer camp and school program for kids where we run dozens of cars all day with dozens of kids = a lot of fun and learning happens!! The most durable chargers I ever had are the little LRP micro chargers. I have seven of them running off a 30 amp power supply and they are the ones that hardly ever go bad -- even after years of non stop. I never see them advertised or mentioned but they rule in my book.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Sirius Charge Pro and Charge Pro+. These two chargers handle my 5 radio's and 12 aircraft.
Compact, convienent, lifetime warranty.... Best R/C investment IMO along with the 12V "Battery Minder" for the flight box.

Happy Fly'n....
Old 12-15-2004, 07:03 AM
adamkerrnz

Wall wart TX/RX trickle charger, Eagle racing (integy) CDC V6 (charger, discharger, cycler), LRP Pulsar Sport, one lead acid trickle charger, lead acid fast charger/trickle charger (stadium)

it does it for me. but i really want to put it all in one functional box......
Old 12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
[email protected]

Milennium Milennium MilenniumMilennium Milennium Milennium
Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 PM
ZapRC

Here is one I just built for a customer. MRC Superbrain 969 / Double Vision combo. Very bright and very functional.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

3 Walwarts, dymond super turbo, hitec 330, hobbico 900, tekin BC-48
Old 12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Triton
Einstein
Duratrax Ice
Han 9 Something or another
Duralite 3+1
Swallow Xcell

I take 3 big birds 2x rx batteries plus 1 ignition
2 x Foamies Lipos)and sometimes a electric buggy.
Tranny with Lions, Tranny with Nicads

Used to have
Schultze 660
Fma Supernova
Hobbico Mk11
Assorted other chargers I didnt like
Lottsa wires with square thingys all wrapped up neatly with knots.

In order of use
1. Triton
2. "it looks like" Ice
3. Duralite
4. H9
Old 12-16-2004, 12:42 AM
[email protected]

Hey guys, Is Tekin gone, dead, runaway? As my beloved Tekins died I sent em back and they were returned. I can find no info on what happened. Now when one dies I chuck it. Any news of what happened to the company?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 AM
theox

http://www.teamtekin.com/president.asp
Old 12-17-2004, 03:44 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a supernova 250 and a triton.
When I first bought them I didn't really like the triton but now I have gotten used to it I quite like it. However the supernova is the easiest charger to use.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
gatorz1
My Feedback: (11)

I have 2 ACE R/C Digipulse 3's, 3 ACE R/C Digipace 1's, 3 ACE R/C Smart Chargers, and 1 Hobbico Multi-Charger. I modified my Digipace 1's to charge at a higher rate so they are now my favorites but the Digipulse 3's are very good too.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 AM
tn rc bug

Favorite: MRC 969 Pro
Next: Astroflight 110D
Dynamite twin peak
dynamite pit peak
Losi mini-t peak charger (looks like wal wart)
(2) Dynamite timers

many many wal warts
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I must be the only one still using a MEN charger, I love this thing.

Also have a Triton for the Li-Ions and for charging my starter.

Mostly use my Cirrius Pro for just about everything, bulletproof.

Still keep my Ace DigiPace 1 for when I want to charge a dioded transmitter or just want to slow charge NIMH packs when they are new.

Assorted wall warts that rarely get used anymore.

Really, thats all I need to keep my stuff charged. I like the plug and play of the Cirrius, don't like making adjustments on the Triton (afraid I'm going to mess up).

Lots of good chargers available now.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

In order of favorite:

Triton
Superbrain 969 Pro
Superbrain 959
Superbrain 919 - SUCKS.

It's funny what people have said about these things... I bought the 919 to charge my T Maxx, not thinking down the road... then I needed a better one, and got a deal on the 959. Wasn't enough so I decided 969 over the Triton do to the dual outputs... Then I bought the Triton for LiPo support.

In hindsight I should have just bought one and been done with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
crazymustang

hi, interesting to know some guys have so many chargers, can anyone help me to understand about "Alpha 4" charger, i have read about other chargers, like triton, Astro 109, hobicco, schulze and orbit chargers in the forum and magazines, but never come across with "alpha 4" !!! what the heck is this ??? and how could i get more info on this "alpha 4 " charger ?? appreciate any input !!! / Ben
ORIGINAL: Dirtnaper

ISL-8

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.com/index_uk.htm

This charger used to be in the $950.00 range. Now with the dollar crashing against the Euro its probably well over 1000. Seems like a lot of money well to those that have 4 or 5 charges its a bargain. Just hook it up to the ol'pc and download updates to the unit. Alpha 4's were/are good chargers but its 10yr old technology with little changes over the years. The Tritons, Ices, orbits are great for the budget minded too. But if you want to stop making post on the subject and have one charger that you can say "yeah it does that" for now and the next 10yrs this is the one for ya. Never agian do you have to think "will my charger do that? I wonder if its any good"

And no they dont take American Express.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: ben Lam

hi, interesting to know some guys have so many chargers, can anyone help me to understand about "Alpha 4" charger, i have read about other chargers, like triton, Astro 109, hobicco, schulze and orbit chargers in the forum and magazines, but never come across with "alpha 4" !!! what the heck is this ??? and how could i get more info on this "alpha 4 " charger ?? appreciate any input !!! / Ben
Learn all about the Alpha 4 here: http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/
Old 03-12-2005, 07:55 AM
crazymustang

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: ben Lam

Learn all about the Alpha 4 here: http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/

thanks very much Red, and i have quickly gone through this weblink, it does not seem to be li-po compatible... ?? thks rgds
Ben
Old 03-12-2005, 02:41 PM
[email protected]

Hi, I run a summer camp for kids that is centered on RC cars & trucks. I've been doing this for 20 years and am a teacher using similar projects during the school year. The camp is for 8 to 13 year old kids. We have 20 Losi XX and XXX cars and trucks and 4 Emaxxs. We are charging about 12 batteries at all times, all day long, 5 days a week for 10 weeks in the summer.

My favorite charger is the tiny LRP Microcharger. I have 7 of them hooked up to a 30 amp power supply. I can plug any size pack in and the tiny charger can read the size and peak it well. I have never burned out a LRP but have boxes full of burned out standard Hobico, Piranha, Protec, Dynamite, Super Brains and etc. I have several Millenniums and one Tekin that work well too but are only for skilled users.

My problem is that my beloved LRPs do not do NiMH well enough. The LRP sometimes over charges -- too hot. I am switching over to NiMH to eliminate the constant need to discharge before charging half used up/charged packs etc. I wonder what other chargers you might recommend.

-- I need to charge 4 - 10 3000mah NiMH packs at 3 amp charge, at the same time, throughout the day? The chargers are used inside, 110VAC and usually around 70 degrees with fans running on the chargers.

-- What chargers would you recommend for this intense application?

The camp is magnificent as the kids (about 10 at any one time) are having a total blast as they race, build and repair the cars. They are learning real engineering as they play. We have a few planes and boats and also use Leggo Mindstorms. This is about the highest tech education available on the planet. That it is very fun and rewarding makes up for the fact that it does not make much money.

Thanks,
Al Mayberry
Projects Lab teacher
Marin Primary and Middle School
20 Magnolia Ave.
Larkspur, CA 94939
mpms.org

[8D]
Old 03-04-2006, 07:59 AM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My charger list has changed. Here is what I have now.
Schulze isl 6-330d
Schulze isl 8-936g
Orbit Pocketlader
Alpha 4
Hughes Charge + model 1C4S pocket glow start charger

I have sold all of the Sirius charger do to getting in electrics. Sold the Elite do to the fact it just didn't get used.
For field charging I'm now using the Orbit Pocketlader.
The Schulze chargers are great once you get past the operation manuals. They are actually very simple to use once you start playing around with them.
The isl 8-936g is easy to use with the screen it has. If I had to sell them all and pick just 1 to keep it would be the isl 8-936g I would keep. I would keep the Alpha 4 if I wasn't flying electrics.

Still on my wish list the Hughes + and also now added to wish list is the Schulze LiPoBal14 (lithium balancer)
Old 03-12-2006, 04:10 AM
lalaland

I happen to have 3 chargers.

#1 is the Wall Wart.

#2 is a Wall Wart.

#3 is a Wall Wart.

My favorite one is the Wall Wart.

It converts into a field charger with a 10 mile extention cord.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95145.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	424635  
Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crazymustang

thanks very much Red, and i have quickly gone through this weblink, it does not seem to be li-po compatible... ?? thks rgds
Ben
Ben,

The A4 was designed back when nicads were the ONLY viable thing going for r/c. So, while it will do anything you need to a ni-cad, it won't handle the newer battery technology. You can charge NiMH batteries at c/10 (overnight) rate, but don't try to quick-charge one, as you'll fry it (which is why I now find myself looking for an inexpensive field charger that will handle that chore). And don't even THINK about lithium batteries...

A4s were THE thing to have in their day. That day is past; but those of us who, for whatever reason, have not bought into lithium batteries, still swear by the A4.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Wait a second, you have to charge the batteries,,,,,,,

Roger
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I have a Triton that I power with a modified PC power supply, and a Duratrax Digital Pirana that I used a lot more before I modified the power supply, and now its just a spare incase the power supply fails. I'm considering selling it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.