Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Which charger to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which charger to buy?

Looks like my Triton charger is taking a dump on me and I need to replace it. I am going to have it fixed, but I still want to buy another charger. The chargers I have currently:

Triton
Hobbico MKII
Ace Super Smart Charger

I charge the following Batteries:

3 and 12 Cell Nicad
4, 5 and 8 cell MIMH
2 and 3 cell Li-Po
2 cell Li-Io

What I am looking for is a multi port charger/cycler that will give me a read out of juice put in or discharged from the packs.

I have been looking at the Accu-Cycle Elite, but as of this writing I havent made my mind up. Considered the Alpha 4, but it doesn't do Li-xx packs. I know ther e are alot of chargers out there, I just haven't been able to find, as of yet, the perfect charger for me.

Give me your opinions please!!!!

Stan
WV
Old 12-30-2004, 06:09 PM
jrjr2u

Default RE: Which charger to buy?

Check this one out:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
Old 12-30-2004, 07:14 PM
avionics12
My Feedback: (12)

Take a look at the Sommer Miniron Mobile. I have been using one for some time now; it works well for my battery needs. It has 5 charging ports and will charge NiCd, NiMh and Lithium among others. It does cost more but with a significant amount of money in the air I want to have confidence that my batteries are in good shape.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:48 AM
jbflier

avionics12; Will that Minron unit charge multiple lipo baterry packs at once? I will be using (2) 3s1p 4200mAh ThunderPower packs in my Funtana 40 for a 6s2p configuration, and I'd love to be able to charge both at the same time with one charger..........
Old 12-31-2004, 10:00 AM
avionics12

The Miniron can charge all ports at the same time. The following is a brief description of some of the upgrades that Version 3.71 will offer for Lithium charging.

• Two new cutoff settings have been added for the Lithium-based batteries: 4.1V cutoff for Lithium Ion and 4.2V for Lithium Polymer.

• The loading/charging parameters for the high capacity Lithium Polymer battery packs have been adjusted to facilitate obtaining the maximum possible battery charge in the minimal amount of time.

• The ability is now present in the software of the charger to choose between a manual or automatic adjustment of the current level for charging Lithium-based battery packs.

I do not have any experience with charging Lithium at this time. That will change shortly as I put two 3300 LiPo Longgo batteries from Emcotec in my 2.6 Comp Arf Yak.

I am hopeful that Dave from StarFlight RC will chime in soon. I believe he is more knowledgable about the Miniron than I.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

"I am hopeful that Dave from StarFlight RC will chime in soon. I believe he is more knowledgable about the Miniron than I"

I have been trying to find their website without sucess. All links that I can find are dead. It sucks when a company hides from ya....
Old 12-31-2004, 10:33 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

One other thought -- check to see if the charger logic is upgradable. I spent a little more money on a Schultze 6-330d a couple of years ago, but it was before the popularity of LIPO and LIIO. Just bought a new chip for $29 that gives it all the new software logic for these types of batteries, so it saved me from having to buy a new charger. Not sure these others provide that capability, but you ought to think about it.

I think the 6-330d will meet all your requirements. Check around, I think you can buy them for around $190 bucks.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:58 AM
avionics12

Try contacting Dave at:

[email protected]

The Miniron is software upgradeable. Version 3.71 is the newest upgrade that is just coming available.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:59 AM
avionics12

Keeping in mind that this is a holiday weekend, try contacting Dave at:

[email protected]

The Miniron is software upgradeable. Version 3.71 is the newest upgrade that is just coming available.