Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Accu-Cycle Elite - NIMH Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Accu-Cycle Elite - NIMH Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:04 PM
monjo
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accu-Cycle Elite - NIMH Problem

The elite fails to recognize a full charge for my NIMH batteries. I've tried to charge 2 different NIMH batteries with the same results... the charger just goes and goes until it gives me the time-out error.

The battery spec's are NIMH 7.2 volt 220mah and 8.4 volt 350mah. I have been using the chargers 'default' settings for these batteries. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Accu-Cycle Elite - NIMH Problem

NimH requires higher sensitivity level for the peak detect compared to NiCd. The batt temp should not exceed 40C at full charge. Try setting a higher peak detect sensitivity
Old 04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
monjo

Mike, thanks for the response... just to clarify ... I think you're telling me to reduce the peak sensitivity from 8mv to say 5mv... not going from 8mv to say 10mv. Is this correct?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:19 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Yes, give that a try.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:16 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Those are 6 and 7 cells correct? Did you put the correct number of cells in the charger's setup?

ORIGINAL: monjo

The elite fails to recognize a full charge for my NIMH batteries. I've tried to charge 2 different NIMH batteries with the same results... the charger just goes and goes until it gives me the time-out error.

The battery spec's are NIMH 7.2 volt 220mah and 8.4 volt 350mah. I have been using the chargers 'default' settings for these batteries. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-30-2005, 01:20 PM
monjo

Yes, I have been entering the correct number of cell/mah. I tried changing the peak sensitivity to 5 mv and then 3 mv with the same results... that is... the charger times out before it recognizes a full charge. Are there other things that can affect this or that I can/should try. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

What rate of charge are you using?
If you are using C/10, it may not see the peak.
If you are using C/2 or higher, then watch to see if the voltage decreases?
If it continues to rise or flattens out and never goes down, then it is not the charger.
The current will remain fixed at the present value, the voltage will change.
ORIGINAL: monjo

Old 04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
monjo

The rate of charge has been .10 amp, so below c/2... I'll increase the charge rate and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Not really the difference in charge rate. You can't expect delta peak at c/10 but you need to see the voltage begin to decrease to ensure that it is charged and peaked