Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Solderless Power Tube (SPT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solderless Power Tube (SPT)

Has anyone used these? Sold by Model Electronics Corp.

http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com

Click "Home", "Products" and follow the link at the top of the page to Solderless Power Tubes. They sell complete packs as well as "kits". If they work, the $16.00 price for the kit is worth it! Pack prices are pretty good as well with GP 3300's. Apparently these have been around for awhile but this is the first I have heard of them.

Diagram is here: http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com/...pt-diagram.gif

It is claimed that these allow the use of batteries connected without solder. It is simply a shotgun-style plastic tube with endcaps and connectors with some means of keeping a stack of cells under slight compression. Doesn't seem like it should work very well but a highly conductive silver paste is supposed to provide as low (or lower) resistance compared to a soldered connection. They are claimed to be good for high current applications.

The obvious advantages are:
1) No soldering or assembly necessary
2) No worry about cold solder joints
3) No risk of damaging the cells during assembly.
4) Easy to diagnose a poorly performing pack and cells can easily be replaced.
5) A leaking or vented cell can easily be seen
6) Once the cells are tired, the SPT can be refilled with new cells instead of assembling new packs. Cell cost only and very little time.

I read some (mostly favorable) comments on EZONE but I'm just looking for some more opinions/comments.

Ross
Old 05-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solderless Power Tube (SPT)

Nobody has recent experience with these (latest version)? I guess I'll give it another day or two here and then try one of the electric sub-forums.

Thanks

Ross