Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

GP Triton, Orbit, Schulze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 AM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Triton, Orbit, Schulze?

I am looking for a good quick charger/cycler. I have been using an Alpha4 for my glow planes but I have decided to sell it and use the money to buy a quick charger.
I now fly only electric sailplanes using 7 to 8 cell packs. I have looked at the Schulze 6-330d, Orbit V6.0 just to name a few. I would like to keep the price at $200 or less. I also noticed GP coming out with a Triton. It appears to have most of the same features as the above mentioned chargers. Is it fair comparing the Triton to these chargers or am I missing something. I am very new to electric powered planes and am by no means a battery charger expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-19-2002, 03:42 AM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

Default Triton not out yet

Hi, I just called Tower about the Triton and they said they are EXPECTING it to arrive sometime in December. My mailer from them said late september, the website says november, and the salesman is saying december. My guess is that it won't be in stock this year.
Bob
Old 10-19-2002, 04:36 AM
kwilliby

Bob: Thanks for the information. Guess I'll look at the Schulze 6-330, Orbit V6.0 or maybe the new Graupner Ultra Duo 30. These are some really nice chargers, just a bit more money. If you have any good or bad information on these I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:55 AM
talybont

Hi folks,

here in Germany most peaople are using Schulze chargers. They are very good and easy to use. First you choose your charging/cycling mode and then you connect the battery with it. Simple. Orbit uses nearly the same program structure.
I am using the Orbit microlader pro and my father the Graupner Ultra Duo Plus II ( nearly similar to ISL6-330d but you need min. 4 cells for charging). So, if you buy Schulze or Orbit or Graupner you do not make a mistake. In Germany we have to pay about 150 € for the ISL6-330d and 195€ for the Orbit V6.0 .So it should be a little bit more expensive in the US .

MfG,
Armin

PS: I hope that my English is not too bad .
Old 10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
kwilliby

talybont: Thanks for the valuable information! I'll be buying one of the three. Looks like all are very close in functionality. Do you use the pc software with the Orbit or Schulze? The new Graupner Ultra 30 has a 2nd port for up to 8 cells that would work great with transmitter/receiver packs but has no software. Looks like I would have to choose between having software on the Orbit or 2nd port on the Ultra 30. Thanks for your input. Your english is great!
Old 10-23-2002, 04:25 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kent.

I looked at the Schulze and the Orbit. They are almost identical in capabilities. I got the Orbit because it was available immediately through:

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...t=57&cart=7817

It was $182 shipped. That is the version without the PC interface, I think that model is $20 more. It's beautifully built and I am planning on buying two more (I have 2 A4's too, but like you, wanted field charging capability). I wouldn't order it directly from Germany, with shipping, it's about $40 more. I had it from Dave in 3 days.

I get all my battery stuff from Dave (radical rc). He can send you the cables you need too. I think you will be happy with either. LMK if you have anymore questions, or just post here.

Bob
Old 10-23-2002, 04:51 PM
kwilliby

sideshow: thanks for the info!!! do you think the pc interface is usefull? I don't fly high performance stuff so i'm not sure how much I would use the graphs. Will these chargers work for charging/cycling transmitter packs? I was thinking of using the 2nd port on th Graupner 30 for this. If the Schulze or Orbit will charge the transmitter it wouldn't take much time because of the small mah so that may be ok too. thanks again!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:22 PM
talybont

Hello,

something more about these two, Orbit and Schulze.
The microlader has got a very interesting mode called Reflex-Charge. This means that after two charging impulses there is a discharging impuls. This prevents memory effect which weakens a battery. Another positive effect of this mode is that you can charge older batteries that the Schulze does not accept because of too much electrical resistance inside the cell ( german word is Innenwiderstand, I don't know the english equivalent). This will help you with batteries which are not so good for fast charge like some Sanyo KR, AA, A and Panasonic cells. Orbits only disadvantage is the fact that it has got only one port. But I never used the second port of my ISL6-430d I had before because it was to slow and not safe enough. It charged a little Sanyo 350mAh up to 3,2 Ah. After that the battery was ready for barbecue.
The microlader is also able to charge Li-Io Batteries which may be interesting.
For myself I don't use the software for the microlader. I bought the pro because it was the first Charger which was able to charge a single cell and the first charger who could charge 32 cells for less than 270 €. Nowadays the ISL6-636+ and ISL8-936 can charge 36 cells but they are too expensive. You can buy 3 microlader pro for the price of one ISL8-936.
I've seen the Ultra Duo 30 two weeks ago. Two of our club members are using it. OK, it is cheap but the original Schulze and the Orbit are looking more confident.

Result: If you want much charger for little money take the ISL6-330d. If you want a special technology take the microlader V6.0 .
Both are excellent.

CU,
Armin
Old 10-23-2002, 07:29 PM
kwilliby

Thanks for the valuable information! I don't mind spending the extra $20-$40. Sounds like the Orbit v6.0 may be the one for me.
I hope to buy one charger and have it last a long time. What do you use for your transmitter packs?
Thanks again!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:59 PM
kwilliby

talybont: You mentioned the Ultra 30 was cheaper but didn't appear as good as the Schulze or Orbit. Doesn't it have similar charging capabilities? I've heard it is made my Schulze. I thought it would be very close to the 6-330. thanks again. it sure helps talking to someone who knows about these chargers. It will help in my decision and save me money down the road.
Thanks.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:45 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Tx pack is 1100 mah, so that, coupled with the fact the second charging output on the "transmitter" jack is limited, I considered it useless. I use Macintoshes so the software would be useless to me. The great thing about the Orbit's and the Schultze's was the fact of their upgradeable. I can't speak for the Schultze (I expect it would), but the Orbit chargers everything available now, including litium-metal (duralite) and lithium ion packs. It is built very solidly. I'm very pleased and I am gonna buy two more. Can't give a more glowing endorsement than that. I would probably be just as happy with the Schultze though.

(I hate to admit that I like the way the Orbit looks and like the display too. It's inconsequential to the operation but I like looking at it.)

Bob
Old 10-24-2002, 02:45 AM
kwilliby

sideshow: Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the Orbit v6.0 based on your response. Nothing like talking to someone who owns one. All the sales literature in the world doensn't compare with real user experience. Thats what makes this forum so valuable. thanks again!!!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 03:04 AM
EdMan-RCU

Hey Kent,
Check out the "Dymond Super Turbo" charger/cycler. Outstanding charger will do everything needed for $109 dollars! You can do search on the "batteries & chargers" forum and find all kinds of good info on this charger. I have this charger and would recommend it to anyone.
Good Luck,
EdMan
Old 10-24-2002, 03:07 AM
kwilliby

Edman: Thanks. I'll take a look at that one too before I buy!!! Looks like a lot of good choices!
Old 10-24-2002, 06:09 AM
talybont

Hi Kent,

the Ultra Duo 30 is a Schulze product, too. But one of the low budget segment. The ISL6-330d is nearly similar to the Graupner Ultra Duo Plus II. I would not buy the Ultra Duo 30. In our RC club we have got a motto: "Don't buy components for electric RC planes which do not have a Schulze, Orbit, Plettenberg, Lehner or actro logo on the device. And only two of them produce chargers. In Germany you can buy cheaper chargers, too. Robbe Infinity or Simprop Intelly Control for example. But they are to expensive for their poor technology.
I have got electric powered sailplanes and motorplanes for nearly 10 years. My first charger was a robbe unimax (bull****). After that I bought the ISL6-430d. And now I am using the microlader pro for 2 years. The only thing which failed was a little condensator. This was the chance to get the new software at the same time. No more problems.
The cheaper chargers do not fill the batteries in that way the Schulze or Orbit do. You will have the feeling that you are missing a cell and won't have the power you can.
So, please, stay close to Schulze or Orbit.
I am using a Sanyo RC 2000 as a transmitter battery. But our transmitters are much bigger than yours (look at the Graupner MC 24 which I have in use). This cells are made for ultra fast charge (I blow them up with 8 A outside the TX). But I use some smaller cells as RX packs like the Sanyo KR-1700AU. This cell is very poor with high ampere rates so it may not be charged with 2 A or higher. The high capacity cells in size AA may be charged with max. 1,5 A if you want to use it for a longer period.
I prefer the RC 2400 and RC 2000 for motor-, RX-, and TX pack.
I am using a pushed and matched 16 cells pack (RC 2400) in a motorplane with 45 A and a 32 cells pack (RC 2400 pushed) in a 7.33m DG 100 sailplane with 42 A. Both packs are older than one year and have been used more than 80 times. Absolutely no problems.

CU,
Armin
Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

Being a fairly new owner of Schulze 6-636, I want to jump in with my 2 cents.

I, too, sold my Alpha4 after I converted most of my fleet to electric power. Charging a 2400mah pack with Alpha's 1amp max is just too much for my patience.

I first bought a Supernova charger for $110 which worked really well, but I needed something to charge higher cell count. I wanted to get the isl8-936g, but waited too long and Euro got strong enough to make it too expensive. So I bought a 6-636 instead.

Great little charger. Just plug battery in and it does the rest. Pack is barely warm after fully charged, which prolongs the life of batteries. And I noticed it can push more mah into the cells than my Supernova can.

Only thing I don't like is the programming method. To reach some menus, you have to hold certain buttons on powerup. I don't like to disconnect and reconnect power just to program.

I didn't get the pc interface, but apparently it's upgradable later on. It would be nice to have, but I have enough cables running to the charger already.

You can read more about them at:
http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/isl6-e.htm
Old 10-24-2002, 11:00 AM
sanjoh

I have a ginzel spectra - another german designed and built charger. Works great. PC software, etc. charge and discharge up to 8a.

One caution on the microprocessor controlled chargers: if you try to charge a lithium ion battery that is near full charge the chargers will overcharge the battery. Verified on shulze, ginzel
Old 10-24-2002, 11:43 AM
LooneyTunes

I got the Orbit V6 with PC interface a couple of months ago. Sofar I am very happy with it. I charge everything with it from single cell glow drivers to 3000 MAh NiMHs. At the time of my purchase I compared it to the Shulze 6-330d. I think you cannot go wrong with either of the two.

I chose the Orbit because in the instructions for the Shulze I read that it must use a car battery for a power source. And the car must not be running. I guess it lacks filters on the power input side. The Orbit is happy with any 12 VDC power source as long as the Amperage is sufficient. I run it at home off of a HAM radio power supply. I also had the Graupner Ultra Duo Plus on my list. I scratched that one off when I read in several places that it was a rebadged Shulze 6-330d with the old firmware.

As far as the software interface goes, unless you are a techno geek like me, it really is not necessary to have. I keep two charts for each battery pack I own. I have a baseline and the latest charge on file. That way I can compare the two charts and see if the pack is loosing capacity.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:42 PM
kwilliby

Everyone has been a BIG help. I want to thank all of you! I need to charge my small transmitter packs, 8-700 AA's. I thought I would need the 2nd port on the Ultra 30 to do that. Looks like the Orbit, Ginzel or Schulze will do that just fine. That removes the need for the 2nd port. It looks like most of you like the Orbit or Schulze. I looked at the Ginzel and it appears there is a parts shortage and they won't be available for a while. I'll look over the V6.0 and 6-330 again. Looks like I'll be choosing between those two.
Thanks again to everyone!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 05:13 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Orbit Microlader race is great. Get the computer interface. It is well worth it.
Jim
Old 10-27-2002, 06:00 AM
kwilliby

Ohd: I will get the pc interface. I'm a computer geek and will love playing with the software. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Gary Retterbush

Don't forget to look at the Robbe Infinity II. Very excellent charger.

BTW, reflex charging is an advertising gimmick. Doesn't help at all but then it doesn't hurt. There have been any number of tests to prove the point. Also, memory is not a problem for us in the R/C business. Another old wives tale.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 PM
kwilliby

Gary: Thanks for the info. I did read about the reflex charging myth on Red Schoefields website. I'll also look at the Robbe. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:36 PM
z11355

gimmick or not, I seem to have less problems
w/ my partiallly charged packs when using
reflex charging w/ my Orbit.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Gary Retterbush

The reason is that the Orbit fills the pack (as any high quality charger does) and not that reflex is doing it. A full battery is a full battery. But, if it works for you that is all that counts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.