Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Whrere to buy Cheap NiMh Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Whrere to buy Cheap NiMh Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Tom02
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whrere to buy Cheap NiMh Batteries

I'm looking for some light weight 6 volt NiMH batteries, preferabbly no more then 350 mah. I bought 300 mah packs from radicalrc not to long ago and they are only 50 mah packs according to my cycler. Anyone know where I can find some at a good price.

Thanks for the input,

Tom
Old 10-24-2002, 04:45 PM
NCC-1701

Some of the fliers in my club (Eglin Aeromodelers) are buying cells at WalMart and building their own packs. Worth a peek next time you're there.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:05 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Visit Radical RC at www.radicalrc.com
Old 10-25-2002, 02:30 AM
aeroaviator

Well if you buy six from radical you'll be set, won't you? ???!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:53 AM
smitymax

Try wwww.batteriesamerica.com Good website and good service, good batteries either battery packs or single cells to make your own.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:58 AM
f2racer

Originally posted by Tom02
As I said I'm not interested in doing bussiness with www.radicalrc.com again b/c of what happened last time, 300mah was really a 50mah pack. Anyone, cheap NiMH batteries, where to buy?
Was this actually confirmed? Are the cells actually 50mAh? I own several TX(1), RX(5) and flight packs(2) from Dave and never had a problem with any of them. As long as you follow his instructions and give the cells a couple of slow charges, they usually have greater than advertised capacity.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:22 PM
Tom02

Yea, I was experiencing flight trouble after like my 3rd flight at the field one day and and my pack read low. I gave it to a friend of mine to cycle and it came back as a 50 mah pack.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:45 PM
f2racer

Tom, what did you do the initial charges at? Smaller NiMH packs need to be charged at no more than 1C, in the case of your 300mAh pack, that'd be 300mA. And it'd also be a good idea to cycle the packs at 1/10C or 30mA charge and 90mA discharge a couple of times before trying to charge it at 1C to "form/equalize" the cells. I believe that RadicalRC makes some quality packs. I've never had one fail. I've got a TX pack that has over 60 charges and still cycles up to 110% of it's advertised capacity, and I've converted all of my flyable planes to using NiMH RX packs (I use 720, 1000, and 1650mAh 4 cell packs) Regardless of where you buy the packs, you need to treat them with care. If you do, you'll get a couple of years outta them. But if you abuse them, they won't last too long.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Tom02

OK. I have one pack left that has never been charged so I'll try slow charging that one. Never saw anything about how to cahrge them when I bought them, so I will try charging them your way.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:08 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have purchased several NiMH packs from radical rc lately and they all required several cycles before they came up to rated capacity. My 2200 ma pack cycled at about 50 ma the first time. after the 3rd cycle it came up to 2400. like above cycle those at no more than 50 ma charge rate a few times and I bet they come right where there supposed to.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Tom Tharp
My Feedback: (1)

Default Batteries

You might want to check out allectronics.com they have some pretty good deals on above and they take all credit cards. I've used them a few times and the shipping is good no Hassles.
tom
Old 10-27-2002, 05:36 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Try some of the direct dealers on the internet. Just enter "batteries" in a search engine and find the best price for what you need. Also, in my area there is a chain called "Batteries Plus" and they will build your battery pack free of charge with reasonable prices on the individual cells.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:33 AM
Puffnstuff

Default Try cycling it several times

I just bought my first nimh pack today from radioshack. It's rated at 3000mh but my first charge was only 1133. I ran it and waited 2 hours before charging it again. My second charge made it to 1932 which is a major step in the right direction. From what I've read it takes 3-4 cycles before the pack will reach it's rated capacity and will keep increasing until around the 100th charge after which it will start loosing capacity. I'm using a duratrax digital intellipeak charger to charge this pack as it's the only thing I have at the moment which can handle nimh's. I set it to 2amps to charge which seemed to keep the pack from heating up too much.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Tom02

Originally posted by smallfly
I have purchased several NiMH packs from radical rc lately and they all required several cycles before they came up to rated capacity. My 2200 ma pack cycled at about 50 ma the first time. after the 3rd cycle it came up to 2400. like above cycle those at no more than 50 ma charge rate a few times and I bet they come right where there supposed to.
You were right. After I cycled them a couple times they're above rating.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:29 PM
SMALLFLY-

Think of it this way. It's proof positive your getting brand new never used batteries
Old 10-29-2002, 01:39 PM
f2racer

About a month ago I got 2 new packs from RadicalRC. I had bought 3 from Dave prior to these new ones all work great. Most of the packs read about 4.0-4.4v on the voltometer when they arrive, but the two new ones read only 3.5v and 3.8v. They both cycled up to full capacity with 2 slow (C/10) charges and 250mAh discharges. Dave gets the cells, makes the pack and ships them. He does not charge them at all. I'm guessing that it's either because the cells are coming from the factory like this, or that they are older cells, or the colder weather is effecting them. I'll definitely order again though as you can't get packs any cheaper than through Dave!
Old 10-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Tom02

I will continue to do bussiness with Dave. For what I use the packs for, Pylon Racinig, I can't find a cheaper lighter pack then him. I have already ordered 2 more packs for my winter project panes. I do have one question though. What cycler are you guys using. I am currently using my friend's accucycle, but looking to buy my own.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:33 PM
SMALLFLY-

I have a dymond super turbo
Old 10-29-2002, 07:11 PM
f2racer

Astroflight Model 104. Discharges RX (4 cell) and TX packs at a very gentle 200mAh until the pack is 4.4v. Works great and is cheap to boot.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:57 PM
ka6yrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Batteries

For what its worth. Radio Shack sells NiMh batteries and charger for use in digital cameras for about $30.00. I have been using them in mine for about a year and they work great. The charger will handle either AA NiMh or Nicads.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:20 PM
PilotFrog

I have purchased several packs from Dave at Radical RC and have been pleased with them and the price. They are new packs and he uses fresh cells and have to be conditioned first. I also have a Accucycle charger and it always shows less that rated capacity on cycles....something to do with the cut off point being higher on the discharge than other charger/cyclers. My friend's cycler( I forget the brand) shows the same packs with usually slightly more capacity than rated. I see you were using the Accucycle to test the cells....could be part of the problem.
PilotFrog