Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Are Super Brain chargers any good?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Are Super Brain chargers any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:22 PM
houseplant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Super Brain chargers any good?

Hi, i was just wondering if the super brain chargers are any good. i was thinking of etting either the 959 or the 977. also can i just plug this into a wall oulet or do i need to buy a power supply(i think thts wut there called corect me if im wrong) thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2005, 09:15 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Are Super Brain chargers any good?

959 plugs right into an outlet OR direct off 12 volts...

in theory it is a good charger, but for some reason mine is really touchy about frying batteries. I'm not sure if it charges at a higher amp setting then it says or if it charges too long, but batteries coming off that are MUCH hotter then off my triton.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 PM
TexAg78

I have a 969 Pro, and I use it quite often both at home and at the field. Overall it works well, but I also think it has a tendency to overcharge my NiMH packs at times. I never charge over 1C, and I've been wondering if I should adjust the delta peak voltage from the default of 5mV per cell.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:42 PM
kx250ryder

The 977 is, in my opinion after about a month of research, the best charger you can get for Nitro R/C.

- ac/dc
- peak charge/discharge 2 packs AT ONCE
- charge nicd, nimh, li-ion, li-po, and 12 VOLT STARTER BOX BATTERIES!!!
- can be had for under $100.00 on e-bay

No other charger that I know can meet all four of the above criteria.

The 959 is a fire trap, that will overheat if you don't carry around a cooling fan with you wherever you go. It also constantly false peaks in my experience. If you are looking for a budget charger (resist the urge and just get the 977 it doesn't cost that much more) something like a Duratrax Pirhana digital will get you by, but it won't discharge, handle li packs, or do starter box batteries.

I have also used a 969 Pro which is basically able to do all of the above except the li packs. Although, I have heard that if you send a 969 Pro back to MRC they will upgrade it to the 977 free, because some of their advertising had mentioned that it could handle li packs (even though it couldn't). I think there is a thread about this elsewhere on the forum.