Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charger for Multi Li-ion/poly charging

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charger for Multi Li-ion/poly charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
EMB145CA
My Feedback: (242)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger for Multi Li-ion/poly charging

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good charger to use on RELION packs and or any other brand of Li-ion or Li-poly as well as Nicd or NiMh. I was leaning towards the GP Triton.

What I am wondering is when you have both the ignition and Rx batt to charge and they are both Li-ion, are you stuck charging one at a time with the Triton or is there a good multi charger out there that will handle everything as well as two or more packs at the same time?

I already have a SuperNova to handle my NiCd and NiMh batteries. Would it be worth it just to find a good seperate charger for the Li series batteries?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Charger for Multi Li-ion/poly charging

If you want a li-ion / li-po dedicated charger, get the charger from Fromeco (the Relion people). The std charger can do 3 batteries at once or you can get it with up to 5 outputs. I have the std 3 port one for $120 and do exactly as you want - charge the ignition and receiver batteries at the same time. It runs only on 12V so you need a power supply if you want to run it at home. And you are limited to 2 cell (7.4V) packs, but I also searched for a charger to do 2 li-ions at a time and this was the only one I could find. Several of the IMAC guys in the area have them and recommended it to me. It has been a very good piece of equipment.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:54 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Triton is a one port charger that does all chemistries. The Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite will charge LiPo, NiCd and NiMh with two ports. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML

A dedicated LiPo charger eliminates using the wrong settings accidentally. A good thing for me! I still have just the Triton though.

John
Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
EMB145CA
My Feedback: (242)

Thanks for the info guys....on a side note, what's the advantage of going 3S instead of 2S for the Rx pack? You have to run a voltage regulator anyway, so what gives? Is it less load per cell and thus longer run time? But now that I think about it, run time is strictly based upon Mah. Someone straighten me out.

Jon
Old 10-19-2005, 04:08 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EMB145CA

Thanks for the info guys....on a side note, what's the advantage of going 3S instead of 2S for the Rx pack? You have to run a voltage regulator anyway, so what gives? Is it less load per cell and thus longer run time? But now that I think about it, run time is strictly based upon Mah. Someone straighten me out.

Jon
I can see no advantage. The more input voltage is, the more the regulator has to dissipate in order to provide 6 volts to the receiver. The excess is heat - wasted energy.

Interesting article by NoBS batteries on using LiPo as receiver batteries. http://www.hangtimes.com/weightcompare.html

John