Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LIPoly and LI-IOn cell question

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LIPoly and LI-IOn cell question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
EMB145CA
My Feedback: (242)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIPoly and LI-IOn cell question

When charging your LiPoly or Ion pack, the number of cells you select in your charger would be whether it's a 2S, 3S or 4S, correct? It's not the acutal physical number of cells you have in the pack. So, if I had a 3S4P pack and a Triton Charger, I would select charging for 3 cells as there are only 3 cells in series and the rest are in parallel (that would amount to 12 physical batteries in the pack). Am I correct in this?

Also, LiPoly packs are rated nominally at 3.7V under load and 4.2V unloaded and fully charged. So we have two values to deal with in voltage, 7.4V and 8.4 volts. My question is which voltage would you program into the charger? Of course, current would be 1C.

Same question goes for Li-Ion packs rated at 3.6V and 4.1V respectively. I see a pack advertised on RCU as Li-Ion and the label says 7.4 volts at 4000 Mah. It is a physical 4 AA pack. I believe it would have to be wired in 2S. What would be the charge voltage? Whether or not they are 2P or acutally 4000 Mah cells, I don't know. I have an ignition pack with the same scenario, only it's a Relion pack.

I am in the market for an all purpose charger and trying to do a little pre-emptive research.

Jon
Old 10-20-2005, 04:44 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LIPoly and LI-IOn cell question

ORIGINAL: EMB145CA

When charging your LiPoly or Ion pack, the number of cells you select in your charger would be whether it's a 2S, 3S or 4S, correct? It's not the acutal physical number of cells you have in the pack. So, if I had a 3S4P pack and a Triton Charger, I would select charging for 3 cells as there are only 3 cells in series and the rest are in parallel (that would amount to 12 physical batteries in the pack). Am I correct in this?
Absolutely Correct. You get a "A"

Also, LiPoly packs are rated nominally at 3.7V under load and 4.2V unloaded and fully charged. So we have two values to deal with in voltage, 7.4V and 8.4 volts. My question is which voltage would you program into the charger? Of course, current would be 1C.
What ever the charger manual says. It is the last authority.

Same question goes for Li-Ion packs rated at 3.6V and 4.1V respectively. I see a pack advertised on RCU as Li-Ion and the label says 7.4 volts at 4000 Mah. It is a physical 4 AA pack. I believe it would have to be wired in 2S. What would be the charge voltage?
Same answer. I agree they would have to be wired in series.

I am in the market for an all purpose charger and trying to do a little pre-emptive research.
Jon
Look for the charger manual to download off the Internet.

John