Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Glow starter charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
kx250ryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow starter charging

I currently use a Duratrax Pirhana digital peak charger to charge all of my batteries (can't afford a Super Brain 977 yet). One issue I have had lately, is that I cannot charge my glow starter battery without taking it out of the starter and taping two pieces of wire to it (sanyo 1400 nicad).

Previously, I simply cut the leads off of my old wall charger, which had one of those glow plug bits that you clip the ignitor to. I even tried buying a new wall charger and cutting the leads off of that to put back into my peak charger. It keeps saying that there is no battery (open circuit).

Is the wire gauge too thin? Is there a way that I can cut the leads off altogether and maybe solder some 14 gauge wire to the glow plug bit (if so, where does pos and neg get soldered)? I am getting sick of going through electrical tape, and I hate the thought of going back to a trickle charger. After all, why guess when peak voltage happens based on time, when you have a charger that can detect it for you?

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Glow starter charging

One suggestion I have is that the piranha does a open voltage check every minute and at the beginning of the charge cycle. It may not be detecting the battery because of a diode perhaps?

One way to tell is to read the input and output voltage b-4 starting the charge (with the battery hooked up) push both buttons I think to read both and see if there is voltage on the output side or the charger. check polarity too.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 PM
kx250ryder

I checked the polarity with my dad's volt meter, right when I first cut the leads off. The one with the white stripe is positive in my case. I will try what you mentioned about testing the voltage using the charger interface before charging, to see if a voltage registers.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Nashcat
My Feedback: (1)

RadicalRC sells a charge cable for glow plug ignitors. For only $3, you get the cable that has the glow plug tip (which fits your ignitor) with banana plugs on the other end with wire heavy enough to quick charge. I've had one for a couple of years and use it with my 969 charger.

Nashcat
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
kx250ryder

Awesome. I will have to order one. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM
kx250ryder

I ended up going with Hobbico's version of the glow plug charger lead. It was like an extra buck from Tower, but it put my order over the 150.00 mark, so it kinda saved me money in a way with their newest promotion. I will test it this weekend with my new charger.