Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hands down the best charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hands down the best charger

For me the Accucycle Elite is the best. I like the included power supply. It charges two packs at the same time, has a 10 pack memory, never fails to peak. It does everything I need. I charge NiCd, NiMh, and Lipoly on it.

If a charger can't do at least two batteries at a time it's not worth the money for my porposes.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Joe on this one all the way and have been very satisfied with my Elite. I do have an Ace Super Digipulse as well. That charger is strictly used for form charging new Nicad and Nimh packs and for balancing the cells every now and then. The Elite charges all three types very well and is easy to use. IMHO the Triton a fine charger, but does not offer the same features for the same price. For under $150.00, the Elite can't be beat .
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Mad Wax

Does Accucycle Elite charge lead acids? Mine does, but only has one output.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Mad Wax,
No the Accu-Cycle Elite does not charge Lp batteries.

I really like the idea that LeeU is using. Three seperate Triton chargers to charge LiPo batteries with. I like it because the chargers float. I can also use it to charge dual packs in airplanes without worry about the receiver common. Course you could do the same thing by using multiple Multiplex LN-5014s and it's clones much cheaper!
John
Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I really like the elite, but I am mostly using sub c's. The 2 amp max rate and the limited power supply are my two complaints. If I had a charger (dual) witht the features of the elite and a combined max wattage of 150 - 200 and a max cell count of 20-30 it would be great.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
jmtdmt
My Feedback: (1)

Another vote for the Miniron Mobile. I especially like the option to charge five packs at one time in the parallel mode. My biggest battery is 3S 2220 mah I charge everything at C/10 or less so the max charge current limit doesn't bother me. Great service from Dave at Starflight also.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 AM
treedog

after all this talk about chemistries lipo sucktionand more, and nimhnicd.......i think ill go stick my finger in a light socket
treedog over and out
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Triton and a DuraTrax ICE. The Triton has been around a long time and has gathered a loyal following. A great many people who own it have never used anything else - so they will say it is the best.

Quite frankly, the market has not stood still and the Triton is outdated now. The ICE blows it away in every category except in the maximum number of series cells it will charge. The ICE is my primary charger now - the Triton is the backup.

I know there are better chargers out there (more features, etc) - but I have yet to see one in the $100 or under price range.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:15 AM
guver

I couldn't agree more, time for a triton II with the high cell count, 150-200 watt power and multiple outlets.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:16 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Saying the Ice is better in every catagory except in the maxium cell count is not totaly true, I agree the Ice is a good charger but I run high cell count tunnel hull boats as well as Lipo's for foamy's, my 3 Triton's charges these cells as good or better than the Ice because some times more is better so don't down play the cell count limits with the Ice. IMO LeeU
ORIGINAL: Kamikazi

I have a Triton and a DuraTrax ICE. The Triton has been around a long time and has gathered a loyal following. A great many people who own it have never used anything else - so they will say it is the best.

Quite frankly, the market has not stood still and the Triton is outdated now. The ICE blows it away in every category except in the maximum number of series cells it will charge. The ICE is my primary charger now - the Triton is the backup.

I know there are better chargers out there (more features, etc) - but I have yet to see one in the $100 or under price range.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 PM
guver

Isn't specifying the exception kinda cancel it out? I think I would say the same thing ie: the ice outdoes the triton in every catagory except for maximum output voltage. (ok I said it a different way)

I am curius as to which way the triton is better than the ice (except the high cell count) I can't think of one right off.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

The Ice has the graph, thats cool, I have a Watts-Up meter kind of does the same thing. They both charge LiPo's at the same rate so that's a wash, you don't need any thing over 12 volts it sounds like, I need 18 volts for my boat packs and I have a new FBY offshore 30" offshore tunnel hull that I'm building that will use 20 cell @ 24 v NiMh pack's, the Ice falls way short. I wish I had the 8 amp charge rate instead of the 5 amp that I have but I have 3 Tritons so I can easily charge 6 big packs in a night and 2 packs at the lake making 8 packs for the day which is plenty for me.
LeeU
Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 AM
treflip98

What about the LRP competition2? They are great chargers to arent they? Even though they dont charge lipos they are still good chargers arent they?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Whistler71

Why are there so many darned charger to choose from...? What is the best one to charge 3 cell Lipo 11.1V batteries? And then best for the money? Would also be good if it could charge bigger batteries in case I decide to get bigger helicopter...

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
mrasmm

the cellpro 4s is probably the best bang for your buck lipo charger that can charge up to 4s lipo's and everything else is automatic. US for around 60 to 70 bucks.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Kamikazi

ORIGINAL: Whistler71

Why are there so many darned charger to choose from...? What is the best one to charge 3 cell Lipo 11.1V batteries? And then best for the money? Would also be good if it could charge bigger batteries in case I decide to get bigger helicopter...

Thanks.
How much bigger? As you progress with electric Helicopters, you'll possibly end up with something powered by 10s 12 or even more. The popular 30 and 50 sized Electric Helis, usually need at least 6s.

There is no best charger for the money... You need to specify additional requirements. Even then, you'll quite likely find that two chargers in the same class will each have certain features that the other one doesn't have. YOU have to decide which features are most important to you and then THAT is your "Best" Charger.

It's like asking which is the "Best" automobile. If the answer were simple and clear cut we'd all be driving the same thing...

When I replied to this thread last year the ICE was my favorite. Not anymore. I fly higher voltage planes and Helis now and my needs have changed. My current favorite is the Hyperion 1210i.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Whistler71

ORIGINAL: Whistler71

Thanks.
How much bigger? As you progress with electric Helicopters, you'll possibly end up with something powered by 10s 12 or even more. The popular 30 and 50 sized Electric Helis, usually need at least 6s.

There is no best charger for the money... You need to specify additional requirements. Even then, you'll quite likely find that two chargers in the same class will each have certain features that the other one doesn't have. YOU have to decide which features are most important to you and then THAT is your "Best" Charger.

It's like asking which is the "Best" automobile. If the answer were simple and clear cut we'd all be driving the same thing...

When I replied to this thread last year the ICE was my favorite. Not anymore. I fly higher voltage planes and Helis now and my needs have changed. My current favorite is the Hyperion 1210i.
Why was the ICE your favorite and why is it not now?

What about an Orbit, Schultze, Competition Electronics?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Kamikazi

I didn't need high voltage charging when I was using the ICE - didn't have LiPoly packs of more than 4S. But it did have higher charging current than the Trition, which charged higher capacity packs faster.
Now that I'm using 6S and sometimes 10S LiPolys, neither of those chargers do the job.
The other chargers you mention have a much higher price, and don't offer anything additional that I need. If they offer something that YOU need, and you find their price/performance ratio is reasonable (I do not) then one of them may be a good charger for you...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Whistler71

What are the main differences between the Cellpro 4S and the Triton, Hyperion and Ice chargers that cost much more money?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Kamikazi

Read the specs and you'll find out.

Seriously...

One of the biggest things that affects the cost of a charger is the wattage. The little CellPro 4S that has so many loyal fans may be great if you fly smaller packs, but the 4 cell and 50 watt output makes it a joke for those who fly larger electrics. A charger like the Hyperion 1210i is a far better choice in that case.

Despite the title of this thread, there is no "Hands down the best charger" anymore than there is a "best model aircraft".

Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Whistler71

Read the specs and you'll find out.

Seriously...

One of the biggest things that affects the cost of a charger is the wattage. The little CellPro 4S that has so many loyal fans may be great if you fly smaller packs, but the 4 cell and 50 watt output makes it a joke for those who fly larger electrics. A charger like the Hyperion 1210i is a far better choice in that case.

Despite the title of this thread, there is no "Hands down the best charger" anymore than there is a "best model aircraft".

So, you are basically saying that the Cellpro is great for people who are using 2-3 cell packs but not that great for 4 cell packs and I know it does NOT do 5 or more cell packs...

I can assume that you are or have voted for the Hyperion 1210i...!?

Thanks.