Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

balancing lipo's charger question

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

balancing lipo's charger question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:13 PM
johnfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancing lipo's charger question

I have been reading allllloottttttt about balancing lipo's and checked a few batteries of my own only to find that there are some differences in voltage. These are brand new packs and have only been charged one time "in series". So i got to thinking... if i got the great planes 4 port lipo charger and the corosponding plug for balancing could i charge all 3 cells simultanously "but seperatly" ??? I think so . but here's my question.
there are 4 leads on the balancing plug on the bat. The 2 middle are both + and - depending on what battery your charging !!!! so on the charger the leads for the middle 4 wires would be tied together + to - then to the plug for the bat. "this isn't easy to explain" Would the charger "GP" do this without bridging between the outputs????
If this makes no sense draw it out on paper ( 3 cells in series) (then 4 leads) the outside 2 go to the outside posts one + one - ..... then the other 2 leads go to the jumpers between the 3 cells........... thanks ... JB.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:37 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: balancing lipo's charger question

JohnFly,
You really need to call or E-Mail GP support. Some chargers are not bridge-able the negatives or positives are connected together as a common. Call support and ask them if all 4 outputs will float. You could get an ohm meter and see if the negative or positive leads are connected together but it also depends on how the current sense is connected. You really need to call them.

[email protected]
Telephone: 1-217-398-8970. Available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm U.S. Central Time.

John
Old 12-25-2005, 12:39 AM
johnfly

it was just a thought.... kind of an "out of the box moment" anyway i was just thinking if this was possible then i could charge normal while at the field and once a month or so i could balance them all with the same charger.... their description on tower says that it is 4 independent outputs!!! but like you hint at ... would the sensitivity be addiquate or not ????
Just trying to get the most out of the old rc dollar... but i don't want to let the smoke out of those darn electrical things ... when u do they just never seem to work the same. thanks... JB.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:21 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah, that magic smoke is hard to put back in.
John
Old 12-26-2005, 01:49 AM
mikekomm
My Feedback: (9)

"i could charge normal while at the field and once a month or so i could balance them all with the same charger."

JB
There are many reasons to balance with every charge. You can find a simple explanation on our website under "battery education"

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com