Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipos, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:51 AM
zumzum5150
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos, what to do?

Hi to all,

I'm still very new to the lipo scene and really need your expertise on the matter. I won't be home for a couple of months and just don't know whats the best method for storage. My initial intensions were to bring them along but went against it in fear of airport security and also I've got limited carry ons. I picked up a metal case and thought I'd just fully charge it and leave it in my closet. Do you think this is wise. Our garage gets pretty cold as well as very hot.

BTW: can lipo batteries be carried in the plane? Thought I'd ask just in case I change my mind.

Thank you to those that reply...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lipos, what to do?

Hi,

Actually, you have common questions asked by most people. If you visit our [link=http://www.fmadirect.com/tech_data/index.htm]LiPo Expo[/link] on the FMA Direct Web site, you will see a link called, [link=http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm]Storing Lithium Cells[/link] that takes you to good information from the Battery University.

In short, when storing Lithium cells, there is no chance of fire so they are safe. It is best to store Lithium cells at a half charge voltage of 3.6v (unloaded) and in cold temperatures to help maintain their capacity.

I'm not sure about the FAA rules for transporting Lithium packs.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
zumzum5150
My Feedback: (2)

Hi

thnk you for replying. The link was very helpful.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Fred Marks

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

As long as you keep the weight of packs down as follows, you may carry Li Pos by air.

1. The total weight of lithium must be less than 8 grams. The Equivelant grams is calculated by the equation ELW= 0.3 X capacity in AH. For example, if you wanted to carry 10 cells of 2200 mAh= 22AH, then ELW= 22 X0.3=6.6 gram and you are OK. At any time ELW > 8 grams, the package has to be handled as hazardous material and it is a whole new ball game with rules prescribed by the United Nations and the USDOT or the Competent Authority for the country of origin if you are not in the US.
2. As long as the battery is installed in the application product, you will generally be OK s in cell phone or lap top. That would change, e.g., if you put an aux pack with 40AH on the back of your lap top.

Fred @ FMA/Kokam