Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging Question

Old 01-25-2002, 09:10 PM
rab
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Question

I have talked to a lot of guys at the field that say they leave their batteries on trickle charge all of the time. I may only fly one time a week and sometimes less. Will it hurt my nicads to leave them on the stock trickle charger all of the time? Thanks for the help
Old 01-25-2002, 10:48 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default trickle

Over time, yes, but the damage takes years to happen. What I use the is the TME Tricke charger. You plug your charger into it and it pulses the radio charger off/on and reduces the wear on the battery. I only use it on my daughters trainer. I haven't flown it in about 6 months, but it is ready to go anytime. Go to www.tmenet.com for more information.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:46 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Works For Me

Over the years I've developed two charging scenarios. One is as you say. Four out of my current five planes are on trickle 24/7/365 with no problems. When I get home from the field, I charge accordingly and then go on trickle. Every 6 months or so I may do a capacity check on my digipace and determine the condition of the pack and carry on from there. Another method that works fine is the old standby lamp timer. Charge after flying and then go to a 1 or two hour per day charge. This is actually a little easier because you can set the charge time on the timer (12-14 for instance) and forget it. The other way you need to come back and manually put the thing on trickle. I do have one plane on NiMh which is a new game for me after 25 years. So far, putting it on the light timer has worked ok. I never quick or fast charge or otherwise beat my batteries up. I will charge at the field between flights at maybe .2C or better. Hope that helps_Bob