Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Extending NiMH Life

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending NiMH Life

Red,
I saw an interesting quote in a copy of Ward’s Automotive Report April 06
What do you think?

“In the battery world, the operation most damaging to the battery is the top 15% of charge and the bottom 15% of discharge, “ David Hermance says. “At those ends the chemical process start to get a little wacky, and you start doing things that deteriorate the battery”

For this reason, Toyota’s hybrid batteries stay within 20% of each extreme. “It never sees anything more than 80%stae of charge; never sees anything less than 40% state of discharge, “ David Hermance says, adding Toyota is not worried about it’s nickel metal hydride batteries.

David Hermance notes that to date, Toyota has not had a single warranty claim related to a hybrid battery. And the auto make does not expect to ever replace a spent battery, he adds.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extending NiMH Life

I have found that, with just a minimal amount of care, nicads and NiMH batteries last a lot longer than most people would think.

By minimal care, I mean little or no quick-charging, and periodic cycling.

Given the 80%-40% figure is accurate, how would a non-electronic type such as myself re-calibrate his Alpha 4s???
Old 05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
richrd

Nice article to read only makes sense if only partially used it would last a lot longer. Also it’s possible that at the extreme ends that the wear on the plates occur therefore a true chemical reaction with no loss last 100 years
Geistware was this Hybrid battery the same as our NiMH or a new battery with top secret process only used in cars.
Rich
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM
carmatic1

well the 15% figure is just something that he estimated, in these things its all about curvy lines on graphs and how much your willing to bet on a single number...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
mattnin

The cost of a pack of batteries is the least of my worries to be honest. After buying a-arms, a diff here, some new tires there, throw in a drive shaft belt a cvd, etc.... Battery longevity isn't even on my mind.

When a pack starts to lose its punch, its time to demote it to practices only and buy a new pack for the race track.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mattnin

The cost of a pack of batteries is the least of my worries to be honest. After buying a-arms, a diff here, some new tires there, throw in a drive shaft belt a cvd, etc.... Battery longevity isn't even on my mind.

When a pack starts to lose its punch, its time to demote it to practices only and buy a new pack for the race track.

Its a bit different with aircraft.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

In reading the entire article, they are using the same NiMH chemistry that we use. They also talked about using LiPo's to reduce weight because those packs have higher energy density. I would hate to have a LiPo fire in my car due to overcharging.
ORIGINAL: richrd

Nice article to read only makes sense if only partially used it would last a lot longer. Also it’s possible that at the extreme ends that the wear on the plates occur therefore a true chemical reaction with no loss last 100 years
Geistware was this Hybrid battery the same as our NiMH or a new battery with top secret process only used in cars.
Rich
Old 05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
richrd

ORIGINAL: Geistware

In reading the entire article, they are using the same NiMH chemistry that we use. They also talked about using LiPo's to reduce weight because those packs have higher energy density. I would hate to have a LiPo fire in my car due to overcharging.
Fire what fire [>:] after a rear end ..you would look like a roman candle. WOW just hard to believe they could make it safe enough. Plus the dependability problem if any circuit malfunctioned it’s throw the battery away “or the driver [X(]” what a process mess. But the NiMH is a much more common sense way to go but boy as we know the power density is just no comparison.

On the up side it’s about time some good money is being spent to come up with new technology since NASA hasn’t done much in the last decade. Just wish America was doing the new stuff.
Rich