Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

identical lipo packs in parallel

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

identical lipo packs in parallel

Old 04-29-2006, 04:17 PM
carmatic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default identical lipo packs in parallel

i have a lipo charger, and a lipo balancer, and currently only a single lipo pack with one of those colourful balancing connectors... i have never run that pack yet, its not charged etc... can i buy another lipo pack just like my first one, and wire it parallel to my first lipo pack, and do the y-thing on their balancing connectors , and then plug them into my charger and balancer like that? i plan to keep them wired like this, to act as a single pack with twice the weight and twice the capacity, seeing that each single pack seems to weigh around half of the nimh pack that they are replacing
Old 04-29-2006, 05:58 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: identical lipo packs in parallel

The discharge (regular) plug can be parralled together for using them. I am not sure about parrallelling each individual cell thru the taps, it should be a good thing because more cells will stay in balance better, tha't a lot of connections.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM
carmatic1

well i just y-ing the normal red/black connections like you would any other pack, as well as y-ing the lipo balancing connector as well, the orange/blue/red/black one...not that much wiring done on my part
Old 05-01-2006, 09:18 AM
richrd

Yes we all seem to agree that you can parallel LiPO. So therefore can charge in parallel. But remember it's not the same all capacity numbers in the charger doubles and top off trickle charge will be dependent on your charger.
If you can just buy a pack with this capacity is my first chose before two packs and hassle.
Rich
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 PM
carmatic1

im just slightly worried about the 'constant current' charging part , when the charger is trying to charge a lipo that is more than halfway depleted, its impossible to adjust this value to make it double of what it is... like, on the charger it says 'charges packs with 1 - 4 cells' , does it just mean up to 4 cells in series, or 4 cells maximum...

just another question, slightly off topic... because of the arrangement of my chassis i am going to have to put the esc and receiver directly on one of the lipo packs , albeit having some shock absorbent material seperating them... like i have experiences where if the antenna wire from the rx was touching a nimh pack when its running, i lose signal... just wondering if anyone has any experiences with interference from lipo packs, i.e. due to the different material in the cell casings, or having 3 times less cells, or the different chemical reactions, etc...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

'charges packs with 1 - 4 cells'

This is the spec for series cells.