Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

how to reduce voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 PM
TheGreatMoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to reduce voltage

I got a 12v 7Ah battery and I need to reduce it to under 8.4v so it doesn't burn up my speed controller how can i do this?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: how to reduce voltage

Why can't your ESC handle 12V? It sounds like you are using a lead acid/gel cell, it would help if you gave more details on what you are trying to do.
If the max voltage you can use is 8.4V, it is not practical to use a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage for the amount of current you will be using.
Pete
Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 AM
TheGreatMoo

yeah my speed controller can only handle 8.4 volts and right now i have a 7.2 volt battery but its only got 2 Ah. i want to use my 12 volt 7 Ah battery. I'm using it in a battleship so I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking for long run time and i need a cheap way of using my 12 volt battery instead of buying a better speed controller. its a lead acid battery i think.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 AM
pilotpete2

OK, the battleship explains the 7ah battery, seriously though I think upgrading the ESC is your only choice if you want to use that 12V battery[>:].
Let me know the make and model of your ESC, and I'll look up the specs.
Regards,
Pete
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Have you tried a DC to DC converter? They sell them in all of the large electronics catalogs - Jameco, ect.
Disclaimer - my electronics education was received at a Holiday Inn Express. . .
Old 05-02-2006, 09:04 AM
TheGreatMoo

i might buy this speed controller http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE528&P=0 think it is a good buy? on the site it says i need their motor but i got two motors that came with my 12 volt battery in a truck think those will still work? or what other 12 volt speed controllers are there out there. but if i cant get the money for it ill post the specs of my speed controller i already got.

thanks for the help so far