Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Red, What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Blixsim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red, What would you buy?

Have you tried the Graupner Ultramat 25. I just aquired one of these gems and I'm 1000% satisfied with it. It is a quick charger which charges from 1 to 25 cells, NiCd, NiMH and Pb cells. It has charges rate from 100ma to 5000ma selectable in 100ma intervals. Will charge, discharge, cycle, capacity test, balance. The delta peak sensitivity can be adjusted for Nicd and NiMH. I use 15mv for NiCd and 3mv for NiMH. Also has a safety timer which stops charging to prevent overcharge in cases where the delta peak fails to detect a peak. I have seen my batteries improve with each cycle and am confident now that I know exactly what each of my packs are doing.

It does have a few querks like only been able to charge 1 pack at a time. It also has a safety timer which only allows a 5hour charge max. I get round this by simply restarting once the timer kicks in. I seldom charge longer than 5hours anyway.

An absolute beauty with the high standard of german quality.

I would have aquired the alpha4 but after 2years of trying to get on the list i've just given up. In my opinion for the price this charger is the next best thing.

Hedley M.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Blixsim

Oh, I just heard that the new graupner duo plus 30 has two ports, dont know any of its other specs tho

Hedley M.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:49 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

It has two port. Port one can change up to 7amps, 1 to 30 cells I believe. The other can do 4 to 8 cells, but I couldn't figure out at what charge rate. If it will do up to .5 amp, you basically have half an Alpha 4. I've seen it in stock for $160 on the network.

For $320, you could have the same capabilities of the Alpha 4, for about $60 more and in two boxes instead of one. Pretty close for those that don't want to wait for the Alpha.

I have no idea what the user interface is like, but with only the 4 buttons, the design can be anything from ok, to nasty. Only using it for a while will tell.

Its worth investigating a bit more. I know I will.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:43 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

The whole point of buying a Super Turbo,Super Nova or Triton type is you dont have to wait all night to charge anything.
It is just not an issue as you are not usually charging from FLAT nor are you charging for a set time.You are Peak charging
You only put in what you take out.
I have found that I can charge up 2 planes and the Tranny the day I go out to the field while having breakfast and ,if I take it with me ,charge at the field.
Note this is not at fast charge rates or it would be even quicker
Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 AM
sfaust

Originally posted by AndyT
The whole point of buying a Super Turbo,Super Nova or Triton type is you dont have to wait all night to charge anything.
It is just not an issue as you are not usually charging from FLAT nor are you charging for a set time.You are Peak charging
You only put in what you take out.
I have found that I can charge up 2 planes and the Tranny the day I go out to the field while having breakfast and ,if I take it with me ,charge at the field.
Note this is not at fast charge rates or it would be even quicker
Unfortunately, I am not so lucky. I would have to have a very long breakfast in order to do that with a Super Nova or Triton. Just 2 planes and a transmitter, but 9 batteries, and big ones to boot.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Panzlflyer

Is the super duper impossible to get gonna be any faster???
Doesnt seem like there is any answer at this time. I looked and getting 2 peakers was my answer.

Ps I like a full cooked one if "her in doors" is feeling kindly and I havent bought to much Rc stuff
Old 01-15-2003, 09:29 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

HI gents:
Well for some of you in this thread, the FMA's Einstein would suit your needs, it has TWO ports and can cahrge up to 12 cells per port (if i'm not mistaken), easy to use and care for.,
It is not a fast charger, it is a battery reconditioner (cycler) and for$100.00 it worht its weight.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:38 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by strato911

Can I borrow your seat? I'd love to know where to sit to have one of those "fall into my lap "...
The 'seat' is now on e-Bay. I put the Alpha up for auction.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:11 PM
EdMan-RCU

Originally posted by sfaust
It has two port. Port one can change up to 7amps, 1 to 30 cells I believe. The other can do 4 to 8 cells, but I couldn't figure out at what charge rate. If it will do up to .5 amp, you basically have half an Alpha 4. I've seen it in stock for $160 on the network.

For $320, you could have the same capabilities of the Alpha 4, for about $60 more and in two boxes instead of one. Pretty close for those that don't want to wait for the Alpha.

I have no idea what the user interface is like, but with only the 4 buttons, the design can be anything from ok, to nasty. Only using it for a while will tell.

Its worth investigating a bit more. I know I will.
Where can this beast be found? Does it charge lithium?

EdMan
Old 01-16-2003, 05:16 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by EdMan

Where can this beast be found? Does it charge lithium?

EdMan
I don't think it does Lithium, but I didn't really pay attention to that. I just searched the internet for "graupner duo charger" and came up with a number of links.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default CirrusCycle Pro?

I can't believe that with 35 posts on this thread I saw no mention of this guy.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/350370man.htm

Granted it's limited to Nicads and a 1 amp charge rate, but that's what most of us need.....isn't it?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Panzlflyer

Just my 2Cs but its 2003 and anything that wont charge NIMH correctly for over $100 is a rip off. The technology is there and its very cheap.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:28 AM
D_Dawg

Default Re: CirrusCycle Pro?

Originally posted by vinnie
I can't believe that with 35 posts on this thread I saw no mention of this guy.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/350370man.htm

Granted it's limited to Nicads and a 1 amp charge rate, but that's what most of us need.....isn't it?
Yep ... seems to me .. it fit my bill ... it was this or the Einstein ...

I just ordered the Cirrus Cycle PRO ... good enough ... tired of looking ... geez ... no adaptor needed ... AC/DC ... cool

And I'll just wait for one of those ALPHA 4's to fall in my lap!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:18 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default and the winner is...

Good choice Mr. Dawg, and it's way prettier than the Einstein. Plus, we don't need no stinkin NIMH or Lithamums.

LONG LIVE NICADS!!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:14 AM
D_Dawg

Default Ahhh ... but it does do NiMh ...

Originally posted by AndyT
Just my 2Cs but its 2003 and anything that wont charge NIMH correctly for over $100 is a rip off. The technology is there and its very cheap.
It is the Cirrus Cycle Pro Battery Manager

and unlike the Triton ... you don't need to build or buy a DC power supply ... and Red (hopefully) won't need to write a Manual for Dummies on it <crossing fingers> ...

So you can invest your two cents in some chewing gum ...

<kidding>

But then again ... you can keep those NiMh! I have only used NiCds as long as I can remember ... never had a need for anything else ...

Thanks for the input ...

Thanks Vinne ... but if it turns out to be crap ... I send Uncle Vito and da boyz to pays uz ah visit ...
Old 01-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Panzlflyer

Dont suppose you would use lithium then???
A Super vTurbo is about $ 100 and so is a Super Nova plus the dc power supply = 135 +/- $ 10 .
I agree that the Triton is somewhat difficult to understand.
Both of the others are pretty easy and I had to look up a couple of things like adjusting the Peak cutoff but thats all and once the batteries are broken in hitting charge is about all it takes.
The S Nova even charges 12v flight box batteries.
the LHS has another new one from Horizon for about $69 that seems pretty capable and does Nimh and Nicads
So there is more coming out all the time.......maybe the price will be going down.
I am only critisizing the Cirrus and its like because the cost of the extra circuitry is in the few dollar range and I see no reason why they couldnt add it and make these units a little more flexible.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:50 PM
D_Dawg

Default AndyT ...

You're probably right ...

I was just getting tired of tring to figure out which of the chargers would be best ...

I only use Nicads ... And came to the conclusion that every one of them have good and bad things said about them ...

All of them do Nicads ... some seem easier to understand than others ...

I just figured since Red never chimed in ... and have read every thread in Batterys & chargers ... It didn't seem like it was worth the hassle any more ...

I would like the Alpha 4 .... but since its a mythical charger ... meaning only those who have the time, money, patience & LUCK to order one ... get it ... I have 3 of the 4 ....

So the link made it too easy ... I was weak ... I saw ... I bought.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
strato911

Originally posted by vinnie
LONG LIVE NICADS!! [/B]
I hate to burst your bubble, but I have read somewhere that a regulatory board (EPA?) has ruled that no more NiCd batteries will be manufactured in a few years. I think the cut-off date is 2006. The elimination of NiCd is due to the heavy metals involved either in the manufacturing process, or in the batteries themselves. NiCd will still be around for a while after that, just no new cells will be manufactured anymore.

All the more reason to get a charger that can support the newer technologies (NiMh & Li-Ion) if you're looking to make a long-term investment.

I'll look this evening if I can find the source, and I'l post it if I can find it.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Panzlflyer

Dawg
your not the only one!!! All I want is a little peace of mind before I launch $ 1000 plus.
In the last couple of months I have witnessed 4 lost planes due to batteries not being correctly charged or failed and Pilot not aware because " I charged it all night".
I see FMA has a new charger on their web site dont know much about it but it includes an AC adapter might want to give them a call.
www.fmadirect.com
Old 01-18-2003, 12:38 AM
sfaust

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have read somewhere that a regulatory board (EPA?) has ruled that no more NiCd batteries will be manufactured in a few years. I think the cut-off date is 2006.
That rumor is still floating around? Thats amazing. Reminds me of the fuel magnets that increase your gas mileage by 300%. Those things are still for sale, and people still by them!
Old 01-18-2003, 12:48 AM
D_Dawg

Default Can I get an Amen brother!

My biggest fear is battery failure ...

I may only fly 2o to 30 munites on a weekend ...

then I leave the receiver and transmitter on for about 4 hours before I go to bed ...

And charge the on a friday night till saturday morning ... 10 to 12 hour charge ...

However ... sometimes I have forgot to turn of the curcuits and wake up to a totally dead pack ... not good ...

I am concerned about the quality of my packs now ... hence the urgent need for a cycler and conditioner ... I would hate to lose my baby do to weak signals!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48064_9598.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	28236  
Old 01-18-2003, 03:00 AM
Panzlflyer

well forget the Fma one I just read the review and Reds comments....probably a one to pass although it supposedly does what it claims Li, Nimh and Nicads discharge/charge but max 800ma charge for Nimh/cads made by MAHA
Old 01-18-2003, 03:40 AM
D_Dawg

Default I already ordered the Cirrus ...

So its pretty much a done deal ...

Thanks anyway
Old 01-18-2003, 04:01 AM
strato911

Originally posted by sfaust

That rumor is still floating around?
no more NiCd batteries will be manufactured in a few years Thats amazing. Reminds me of the fuel magnets that increase your gas mileage by 300%. Those things are still for sale, and people still by them!
Sfaust - I stand corrected (visualize me standing). The only reference I could find to this happening was part of an old thread in a newsgroup about RC Cars dated Nov 5, 2001. I don't know where I read it originally, but it was probably just as outdated. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:05 AM
sfaust

I stand corrected (visualize me standing).
Ok, I am. But why are you in just your underwear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.