Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123Racing Battery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
OCR99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123Racing Battery Questions

Brian
Can you charge more then one 3s19 pack at a time if you connect them to charger in parralle if so doese it thak twice as lone
Rick

Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM
William Q

I have some questions about your batteries dimensions. The 6.6v 2300mah 2s1pand 6.6v 4600mah 2s2p batteries have the same dimensions 153mmX28mmX53mm. How is that possible? Is the153mm the length,28mm the width,and 53mm the height of the battery? Does anyone have a XXX-4 & XXX-T that uses the 6.6v 4600mah battery? If so does the battery fit or did you have to modify something to make it fit?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
A123 Racing

Hey Totally Losi,

The batteries do have different dimensions. The 2S1P is 153mm x 28mm Dia, and the 2S2P is 153mm x 28mm x 53mm. I have the xxx-T and the 2S1P fits pretty well. I do have to bend the strap down bar pretty good to get it to latch but with some muscle I can get it in with no mods. The 2S2P is another story, this battery is wider than the battery tray so you would need to do a little modification to your chassis to get it to fit.

If you are into racing I would recommend the 2S1P anyway. It is lighter and provides plenty of power for a race (8-10 minutes)

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

OCR99

Sorry you cannot charge the batteries in parallel on the charger. The balance ports on either battery would have to be plugged in and the charger does not support this.

Brian

[link=http://www.a123racing.com][/link]
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Hello again Brian.
I'm the fellow who inquired about your packs in a sailplane. I didn't see a 4S pack on your site. Would using your HS-SK-2S2P-2
product do the trick? Series or in parallel? Also, what voltage should I program my ESC to cut off?
Thanks again!
Jake
Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
SS Pede

Hey Brian, is there any possibility of having Powerpole (Sermos 30 amp) plugs installed on the battery/charger/turbo box when ordered? I like Powerpoles and I'd naturally want to avoid having to do the conversion myself. I think I heard this would void the warranty or something, but I thought I'd ask anyways just in case.

Thanks again for your time!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
A123 Racing

Hello Sonsight

Yes the 2S1P starter kit would work very well just wire the batteries in series during flight. You can set your esc to 2.0V or if that is not an option you can simply turn it off. Our batteries are not damaged if they are brought to low. You don't want them to go below 1.0V / cell or the charger will have a difficult time with it. It would be extremely difficult for you to bring them down lower than this during use.

Hello Pede,

Unfortunately we cannot apply the power poles for you. If we began to customize packs we would quickly have far to many to do them time would allow. Can you make a Deans to power poles adapter to test the batteries, to make sure you do not need a return (I do not expect any problems but you should check for yourself to be sure) and then once you have confirmed for yourself they are working well then you can make the modification yourself, or simply continue to use the adapter…

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Brian, I want to say just one thing....
THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT! This goes miles ahead of slick ads. Now I will be able to get my Condor Magic to altitude, without the fear of burning down a national forest, or my home for that matter!
Jake
Old 11-24-2006, 01:08 PM
imjonah

Question 1
Hello Lee Jay, We do currently sell our loose cells on our website (www.a123racing.com) you can get four of them for $66. you can also get the balancing wires for these cells to allow you to create custom 2S and 3S packs that can still be used with our charger"
4 for $66 = $16.50 each I beleive. Your sale price for the same thing with balacing wires and deans plug is $49. Assuming most RC car people will be buying a pair that is $33 vs $100.
It seams like a pretty wide gap here in price. For around $40 for a pack that is equivalent in voltage and mah to a NIMH subC pack it would be pointless to tear one of those DeWalt packs apart, for $100 a pack it becomes a viabnle option.

Question 2 I am still uncertain about your answer to using other chargers besides the one you offer.
Let me phrase the question a bit differently, If I am willing to monitor the charging process carefully watching the relevent variables can I use other chargers.
For example contrary to what most people say you can use and decent NICAD charger to charge NIMH cells, as ling as you use a digital voltmeter and thermometer.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:47 PM
everydayflyer

If I am willing to monitor the charging process carefully watching the relevent variables can I use other chargers.

Hope Brian does not mind me jumping in here.

There are many using A123 cells in pack configurations that are not available from A123 Racing. I am using 3S and 4S packs but some that I am aware of are using up to 13S packs.

Myself and others use Li-Ion / LiPoly chargers and also NiCad chargers . For the sake of safety I use a LiPoDapter when charging with a Ni charger and also use it with LiPoly charger for convince and safety.

Since a 7cell A123 and a 6S LiPoly charge to the same terminal voltage (25.2V) it is simple enough to use a LiPoly charger set for a 6S pack to charge a 7S A123.

A 9S Lipoly charges to 37.8 volts which would be 3.78 per cell for a 10S A123 which is close enough.
An 11S A123 charged as a 10S could likewise bee only a slight overcharge (3.81 per cell).

A Li charger with Li-Ion (3.6 / 4.1 V ) settings can get even closer on some combos.
10*4.1=41/11=3.72

A 3 cell A123 being charged on AF-109 ,charge tapered and terminated by hand.

Added a second Graph showing same 3 cell charged at 6.1A with LiPoDapter terminating charge..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48476.gif
Views:	11
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	565909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25251.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	565910  
Old 11-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Brian,

I just read thru this thread and a couple of others and did not see it addressed, but has anyone posted on their experience using the A123 2S pack for a receiver and servo power application? Specifically for giant scale aerobats with 9-14 high power digital servos.

I would be comparing the 2S 2300 pack to say a Fromeco Li-ion 2S 2400 + regulator.

Since the M1 2S pack is only at 7.2v fully charged, I would not have to run a regulator. (There are people running 2S Li-po without regulators so the Rx and servos will take the higher voltage).

Dan
Old 11-29-2006, 12:12 AM
jjackstone

Hi Brian,

I'm going to come at you from left field a bit. Not sure if you are allowed to answer this question but I'll ask. I spend most of my time at the e-bike forum and have a few posts there. There is slowly a growing number of us using the DeWalt packs right out of the box(no teardown). I am personally running two packs in series for a 72V system. They generally behave very well but a couple of times I have had one cell out of the pack discharge to below 1V while all the others are still 2.8 to 3.0V. DeWalt chargers don't like that very much and not so politely inform me that the pack is bad. I did find a way to fix the packs. The question is why the death of just the one cell? I'm kind of guessing the BMS's are fighting each other for control or that the two packs do not have equally balanced cells. Anything you can tell me? Several other people are interested in this also. Thanks

JJ
Old 12-05-2006, 12:28 AM
SS Pede

So I heard a rumor that A123 was testing some cells for the 1/18th scale market. Interesting... But such cells might be too small/low capacity to use in 1/10th vehicles. I wonder if these will really come out. If they do, there's no excuse for not making a more standard sized cell for the 1/10th community! Anyways I'm glad to see A123 maybe branching out.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Waterlogged

I would like to see a D-cell package for us 150A boat guys. -WL
Old 12-07-2006, 05:21 PM
calvinwill

Will you make in the near future batteries the same size as current nimh/nicads? I would not mind a little less power to get 15 to 30 minute recharge times. This is what I have been looking for in RC hobby, updated battery technology. I have a couple of RC cars, trucks and two Tamiya Leopard A6 tanks and I would love to dump the current nimh/nicad batteries and chargers and replace them with 21st century battery tech.

Calvinwill
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 PM
A123 Racing

So we were spotted testing some batteries in our 18th scale trucks. I can’t say what we are working on except; we are always in development looking for the next best thing, and we do know that our current battery packs do not fit in every single 1/10th scale vehicle.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Brian

Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
SS Pede

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply.

I know you may not be able to answer this question but...any idea when the smaller format packs might be coming out? I might pull the trigger on the current 2s2p pack and a charger before long to try to get the introductory price. But I'm curious about what the next batch of cells might look like. Do you have a general time frame at all?

Also, would the new packs be charged with the current charger?

I understand if you can't answer these questions, but I thought it was worth a try. Thanks for hanging around the forum. [8D]
Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 PM
A123 Racing

Hey Pede,

It is not soon enough that you would want to hold off on the packs you are currently looking into.

As for the charger, it has not been determined, but we will strive to apply it to the existing charger.

Brian

Old 12-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It appears that A123 racing is not aggressively addressing the electric flight opportunity where we have found that 4S2P packs are ideal for 40 size sport planes. Cells taken from DeWalt 36 volt packs are one viable solution and bring a 4S2P pack to the $80 range. quite a bit better than the $132 for the developer packs directly from A123. Fortunately the charger manufactures have recognized the opportunity and at least 3 (Xtrema, CellPro and Bantam BC-8) now offer chargers for these packs with programmable charge options not offered by the A123 racing chargers.

I am presently flying 4 models, Telemaster Electro, Sig 40 Rascal, Eliminator 40 and Tango Autogiro, with the 4S packs and have logged over 50 flights with no significant deterioration in delivered capacity.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:06 PM
everydayflyer

Part of the problem is that to many LiPoly only users can not accept the fact that not all planes need the lightest batteries available.

The ones of us who have flow NiCads and NiMH batteries in sports planes in the past really aappreciate the simple fact that these are much lighter than Ni cells, supply very good amps. at good volts under load and are much lighter than Ni cells.
I have a 7 cell 2400 mAh Sanyo NiCad pack which weighs 17.7 ounces. It will fly my AF Cobalt 15 Powered SkyVolt but thats about it.In years past I used most 10 cell Sanyo SCR 1000 mAh packs which weighed approx. 18 ounces and a 3 min. flight was about max.

A 4S A123 pack weighs 11 ounces ,provide more volts and the SkyVolt fly great on it. Simple fact is it flys better with the 4S A123 than it does with two 3S 1320 LiPolys in parallel(7 oz.) . The A123 pack does not lose power during flight. The last min. is the same as the first. Most flights are 7 minutes and approx. 2000 mAh used.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Red, what motors are you using in those "40" conversions?

[:-]
Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

Hey Red, what motors are you using in those "40" conversions?

[:-]
AXI 2826/12 on 12 X 8 or 13 X 6.5 APC E prop
Old 12-21-2006, 07:43 PM
rltucker

Brian, are the cells offered on the A123 Systems website the same cells as those offered on the A123 Racing website?

The reason I ask is as follows:

The cells offered on A123 Systems are priced at 6 for $129, which is $21.50 per cell, while those offered on A123 Racing are priced at 4 for $66, which is "only" $16.50 per cell. That's a difference of five dollars per cell, yet the Specification sheets are identical except for the headings.

What is going on here? Does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing at A123, or are the cells in fact different in some way?

If the cells are different, exactly what is the difference and why isn't it shown on the Specifications sheets?

Robert Tucker
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

" Does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing at A123?"

Apparantly not. In all my years in the battery business I've never seen such a screwed up product introduction, and in this case with a product that seems to have some real potential (no pun intended) and not just marketing hype.

I have both and can see no difference.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
A123 Racing

Hello RLTucker,

Despite what some people may think, we do have a good handle on maketing and sales here. The cells being sold on A123Systems and A123Racing are indeed identicle, this is why the spec sheet is exactly the same. The difference lies in the tabs that are applied to the cells when they are sent out. The A123Racing cells have 2 small nickel tabs applied. We use these tabs because they are convenient for the hobbyist to work with, but are still small enough to not cause problems with assembly and installation. The A123Systems cells on the other hand have 4 large nickel tabs applied. These are applied for easy use in a lab environment when we have OEM’s evaluating the cells. These large nickel tabs are more expensive than the small ones and there are twice as many.

This is the reason for the Price difference.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and Enjoy the Holidays.

Brian

Old 12-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

When modelers can buy your product via NEW DeWalt 36 volt packs on the Internet in a fair quantity for 40 to 50% less than it is being offered through the hobby markets and A123 racing, there is something lacking in your marketing strategy. You should be able to take your product to market via hobby channels where the end user can buy them at or near the same price as those that can be salvaged from DeWalt packs. I expect your manufacturing costs of the cells (with tabs) would allow both you, and the hobby retailer at least a 100% margin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.