Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

A123Racing Hypersonic Turbo Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123Racing Hypersonic Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123Racing Hypersonic Turbo Questions

I don't see how, it should feel like an increase in punch because it is directly related to voltage, right?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 PM
SS Pede

I see what you're saying, but some people distinguish between punch, which depends on internal resistance, and power, which is related to voltage. So the turbo box boost voltage for increased power/top speed, but "punch" (whatever that means) is hurt due to the limitations of the box. One or two people running high voltage setups (like two 3s packs in an electric truck) have reported inferior performance with the box compared to without it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
guver

I think measuring the voltage at the motors (or esc input) would eliminate all the other variables and the highest volts under load should win. I suppose I can see the disticntion being made, and it must be because of the increased current draw on the cells themselves. In any case if the turbo caused reduced punch then there's no reason to use it, right?

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Are you comparing the top speed which is dependant on voltage, but measured as the rpm tops out and the load falls off (like an engine that is rpm maxxed out) with the actual power during max load (like an engine accelerating that has big enough gears so that it will top out for lack of power instead of rpm.

If that's the case I think I can go along with that and would think that gearing up the lower voltage set-up may still be the best.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
SS Pede

I'm comparing raw off-the-line acceleration with the turbo box vs. without the turbo box. I hear the packs are punchier than NiMH without the turbo, but lack the top speed of a good NiMH pack. This makes sense since they're low-IR lithium cells, but they have a lower voltage. So, if adjusting gear ratios didn't satisfy me, I might want to use the turbo box to gain my top speed back by getting a full 7.2 volts out of the pack. BUT...when increasing voltage/top speed with the turbo box I would not want to hurt my wheelie-popping ability too much.

Put another way: Whether I adjust top speed with the turbo module or with a gearing change, I do not want to hurt bottom-end grunt too much. If I can re-gear and get the performance I want without the turbo, that's awesome because it eliminates weight and improves run time. If I do have to resort to using the turbo box, I don't want starting torque to suffer.

Thanks for the input, I hope this has cleared things up.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
guver

I see (I think) it sounds like it's a trade off either way with top speed vs. acceleration. I'd stay away from the turbo box if at all possible and use gearing up or a additional cell. I'm close to buying these cells for my e-maxx.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 PM
A123 Racing

Hey U-Dud and SSPede,

Looks like you guys are trying to figure out the turbo module. Sorry I didn’t not get involved earlier, I did not get a notification on this thread for some reason. The Turbo module will increase voltage (Top Speed) by drawing more amps from the battery. It is very hard to see how the Turbo module will work because there are so many different set ups that it could go into. I have seen a 13 turn stadium truck run the turbo module with a little bit of punch lost with a great deal of top end gain. It depends on what you do with your RC if you just bash around and don't necessarily need to hit "Top Speed" all the time then you probably don’t need it. If you race it is a nice thing to have. If it is a very winding technical track you may take the turbo module out, while if it is a longer straighter track you may want to use it. Also you could purchase the Turbo module and then adjust your gearing down to get your punch back and shave a little of the top speed you gained back off. This way you are still running faster than with a stock battery, you have not sacrificed much punch if any, and you are not over working your electronics.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

[link=http://www.a123racing.com][/link]
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
guver

Thanks, Brian. I also didn't get notice of posts for some reason and just noticed your answer to my 12 volt input question. Is there a max voltage for the input?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 PM
SS Pede

Yeah, thanks for the reply Brian. As I've said elsewhere, I'm running an SS5800 system in a Stampede. It sounds like the turbo would work relatively OK with this setup. If I did lose a little punch I'm not sure if I'd notice. I haven't used that many different batteries, and I'm pretty sure almost ANY new battery will be impressive compared to my old, tired GP3300 stick packs! They've served me well, but I've beat them up quite a bit and they're not what they used to be! Thanks again. [8D]
Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
universeguy

Never mind I got it figured out now.
alex
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM
akura2

I understand that you guys aren't selling the turbo module separately because you don't want to run the risk of someone hooking it up to another type of battery... but I own the 9.9v 2300 pack and I'd like to be able to buy the turbo module if I want.... would you sell one to ME?

do I need to show you my name or proof of purchase in your system?

I didn't buy it when I got the battery and charger because I didn't think I was going to need it right away... but I'd like to have the option of getting it when I want...
Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
DLS II

I'm in the same boat. I have a 2s2p MEC SPT with A123 cells. I went with MEC SPT's because I already have a # of them in sub c configuration and I like them alot-no soldering!!! Why can't I buy a Turbo Module? It should be available for $69.95. That's the difference in price between the 2s 2300 pack and the 2s 2300 pack with Turbo Module. Don
Old 07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
ScrubT

Saw a turbo pack on ebay. Looks pretty good!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
pilsner6981

Well this thread hasn't been posted on in almost a year!
Any chance of selling the turbo units seperately now? where can i get them?
thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
jamesban

Is A123 racing still around? I have never gotten their site to come up. Anywhere to buy one of these turbo boosters?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
damfurst

Yea their site still is the same, but you can look on enerland.com for a123 products & [link]http://www.rclipos.com/[/link] has all the batteries w/no shipping charge. Hard to beat. Don't know about turbo module.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
speedybat

Did www.a123racing.com just stop selling the turbo module? Why? Not enough demand? Is there something else better?
I don't get it. Looks like everyone is craving for one.
I would want one myself too.