Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Which is better - Alpha 4 or Triton ?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Which is better - Alpha 4 or Triton ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:44 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is better - Alpha 4 or Triton ?

Which is better ? Alpha 4 or Triton ? Why do you think so ? Hopefully this thread will help those deciding on these chargers. Both are great chargers but let's see what are the reasons users of both have for getting them.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like asking which is better a truck or a motorcycle. Each is very good at doing what it is designed to do but neither is a substitute for the other.

The Triton is a great charger for Tx, Rx and packs for electric flight. It is versatile in its ability to be a fast field charger, cycle packs and handle a number of battery chemistries in a modern microprocessor controlled package. Handles high output for electric flight.

Although I do not have any direct experience with the Alpha 4, it is my understanding that this unit is really designed for someone who has a need to charge and maintain large numbers of battery packs at the same time. It is substantially more expensive. It is not needed for the vast majority of flyers but is invaluable for those who need the features. Not a high-current rapid charger (1A max.?) for electric flight packs. Availability is a big issue and a replacement in the event of a failure would be hard to get.

Ross
Old 01-17-2003, 04:30 AM
EdMan-RCU

I'm with Ross, these two charges are two totally diff animals.
The Alpha 4 is more of an over night charger/maintenance unit that can charge 4 pack at once.
The Triton is a fast charger/cycler. Better suited for larger pack/larger cell count. A good charger for the electric packs, however will do them all.

EdMan
Old 01-17-2003, 08:49 AM
rajul

Well, the Litco Alpha 4 also has the capability to fast charge large packs from 120VAC or from a 12V battery, just like the Triton. See http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/al4.htm.. On the other hand, the Triton is not strictly a fast charger. It has a charge current range of 100mA to 5A. Going by the C/10 guideline, the minimum battery size that can be slow charged on the Triton is 1000mAh. Most battery packs today are above 1000mAh. I personally don't use any below 1000mAh for Rx, Tx, and flight packs.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:30 PM
z11355

They are two very different products. If you
need to charge multiple packs at not very high
rates and the A4 floats your boat, then get on
the list.

if you want a single channel fast/slow charger
that will do most any chemistry Nicd, NiMH,PB, LI
then get the Triton.

But most of all, figure out your NEEDS first.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:07 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I agree they are different animals. Here is what you really asked.

Which is better, a 4 port chager or a 1 port charger?

There isn't really an answer for this, as it all depends on what the users needs are.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:56 PM
rajul

Thanks Sfaust, I see your point in terms of capacity.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Soar Head
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by sfaust
I agree they are different animals. Here is what you really asked.

Which is better, a 4 port chager or a 1 port charger?

More correctly,

Which is better
  • 4 port chager with a max combined current of 1A which you have to wait 1 year to get
  • any other 1 port charger
Old 01-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Re: Alpha 4

With all four ports in operation the max charge rate available is 250 mA. This is a bit on the short side for any significant fast charging (defined as 30 minutes or less). With one port it is 1 amp, enough to bring a 600 mAh transmitter or receiver pack to full charge ) from full discharge in 40-45 minutes. I have used the Alpha 4 to buy a little more flying time but I don't really consider it a fast charger. Of course if you are flying small 110-250 mAH packs in park flyers it certainly would serve in this role as a fast charger.

Anyone that recommends the "ultimate" in chargers just isn't being realistic. What would be the ultimate for one individual would be woefully short for another. Things are moving faster now in charger/battery technology than they ever have. Today's whiz-bang Super Charge will be tomorrow's paper weight.

You have to decide on exactly what you want and then match up what is available today to meet these needs. Sometimes these needs can only met with a mix of chargers. You don't need to cycle all of your batteries at once so a single port charger/cycler that will serve as a fast field charger would do that job. Then you want to keep a number of packs ready for use, then something like the ACE Digipace with it's programmable 6 ports would fill that need. I found the Sudding Ultimate II to be a major overkill in the area of battery analysis and woefully short in the charge area since it is a timed unit with potential for significant overcharge. What is best for your particular need can only be determined by you after studying all the pros and cons of the various combination of available equipment.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by rajul
Well, the Litco Alpha 4 also has the capability to fast charge large packs from 120VAC or from a 12V battery, just like the Triton. See http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/al4.htm.. On the other hand, the Triton is not strictly a fast charger. It has a charge current range of 100mA to 5A. Going by the C/10 guideline, the minimum battery size that can be slow charged on the Triton is 1000mAh. Most battery packs today are above 1000mAh. I personally don't use any below 1000mAh for Rx, Tx, and flight packs.
I don't think there are very many Radio system that are shipped with 1000 mAh packs as standard equipment. You will find that they are standard 700 mAh packs. My sales of 700 mAh replacement packs for transmitters and flight packs are about 50:1 over 1000 mAh or higher packs.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by Soar Head

More correctly,

Which is better
  • 4 port chager with a max combined current of 1A which you have to wait 1 year to get
  • any other 1 port charger
You've got the waiting time about 4x too much. Wait time is 3 months. Otherwise correct.

Red has it right, it all depends on what you need. If one person need 4 ports charging simultaneously at 250mah each, 1 port at 500amps is kind of useless. As is the reverse.

I personally need 4 ports so that I am not playing charger tag trying to get my two planes with 9 batteries all charged. I don't mind slow charging at 250ma, since they are always ready when I wake up in the morning. I never need to fast charge, even when I fly all day long. Using a 1 port charger at the battery packs maximum fast charge rate, I would still be swapping the charger from one battery to the other all night long. Or about, every 45 minutes times 9 batteries. The planes would be ready in the morning, but I wouldn't for lack of sleep. I got tired of not getting enough sleep, so I wanted the 3 months to get the Alpha. Never looked back. Best single purchase I made other than putting all my shop benches on wheels.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Soar Head

Very good points sfaust

In other words, evaluate your needs, and then see which charger best fits your needs.

I have many planes, but hardly ever go to the field with more than one. I'm also lazy, so I usually charge with my Sirius charger on the way to the field. I do use my slow charger and cycler several times / year to monitor pack capacity and to balance the cells.

Now I'm getting into slow fly (i.e. my needs are changing). So now I need something with a lot more flexibility in pack size & cell count.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 01-17-2003, 06:50 PM
EdMan-RCU

Soar Head,
Sounds like you would be a candidate for a Triton.

EdMan
Old 01-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Soar Head

Originally posted by redscho

My sales of 700 mAh replacement packs for transmitters and flight packs are about 50:1 over 1000 mAh or higher packs.
You've got to be kidding!! 50:1? So 98% of flyers are happy with 700 mah. Never realized it was this way. Especially with how cheap high capacity NiCd and NiMh are these days.

I don't have a single flight pack with < 1100 mah. A few with 1600 NiMh. And I often use most of it in a single day. My computer TX has an 1100 pack, and I should upgrade it to 1650 or 2000.

I fly both glow & gliders. About 80% gliders.

I've noticed that the glider guys get a lot more air time per day. It seems to be a flying vs. talking thing. With gliders, you can talk & fly, since no one's making noise. At the glow field, you have to be back from the flight line to carry on much of a conversation. Difference in culture kind of thing.

Soar Head
Old 01-17-2003, 10:03 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Well guess what ?

Its a few weeks from the drawing of the next Litco Lotto
let the opinions and bashing not begin all over again
Old 01-18-2003, 12:35 AM
sfaust

Originally posted by lennyk
Well guess what ?

Its a few weeks from the drawing of the next Litco Lotto
let the opinions and bashing not begin all over again
Ah, but we know it will. Someone will post saying they got on the list, and those that didn't jump in to bash the Alpha. Happens every time.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

The original question was which one is better in the two with even a poll, which I find a bit funny, and that is why I didn't vote on the poll.

To vote, I would have to own both of them which I don't. I have the Litco Alpha 4. I have had it for over 5 years and and do not feel the need for more.

I don't care for a single output charger, because for instance I need a four channel charger for one airplane which is Ignition battery, receiver battery, servo battery and Tx battery. Otherwise I would need more then one charger.

A higher output would be nice though but I get by very nicely.

I don't fly one flight after another without a break so I can wait a bit to charge if I need to.

Those are my views. I cannot compare except in the number of channels.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by aerografixs
The original question was which one is better in the two with even a poll, which I find a bit funny, and that is why I didn't vote on the poll.

To vote, I would have to own both of them which I don't. I have the Litco Alpha 4. I have had it for over 5 years and and do not feel the need for more.

I don't care for a single output charger, because for instance I need a four channel charger for one airplane which is Ignition battery, receiver battery, servo battery and Tx battery. Otherwise I would need more then one charger.

A higher output would be nice though but I get by very nicely.

I don't fly one flight after another without a break so I can wait a bit to charge if I need to.

Those are my views. I cannot compare except in the number of channels.
Great example of user needs being met by charger/cycler's capability. Life is full of compromises. If you have been married to the same woman for 50 years you will figure this out.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:15 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Never can understand why people keep buying 600/700 packs for their TX for 36 bucks just becaus it says F@#$% or J# etc ????
Old 01-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by AndyT
Never can understand why people keep buying 600/700 packs for their TX for 36 bucks just becaus it says F@#$% or J# etc ????
Maybe it is because no one ever told them about Radical R/C.

Radical R/C Dave Thacker <[email protected]>
http: http://radicalrc.com
Voice Order Line 937-237-7889
MasterCard / VISA / PayPal Accepted!
Old 01-18-2003, 02:42 PM
rajul

I am using the 1100 NiCd Tx pack from Dave and it's the most cost-effective I've ever used...........
Old 01-18-2003, 02:48 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by AndyT
Whats a 700 pack? I thought they only came in 2400 and up
Old 01-27-2003, 05:07 AM
HotDogger
My Feedback: (1)

With all four ports in operation the max charge rate available is 250 mA. This is a bit on the short side for any significant fast charging (defined as 30 minutes or less). With one port it is 1 amp, enough to bring a 600 mAh transmitter or receiver pack to full charge ) from full discharge in 40-45 minutes. I have used the Alpha 4 to buy a little more flying time but I don't really consider it a fast charger. Of course if you are flying small 110-250 mAH packs in park flyers it certainly would serve in this role as a fast charger.

Red will the alpha 4 charge you nimh 1700 over night ? ( How many hours) and will it peak !

How long for the big nicads like 1800 or bigger ? How long ? at 250 Mah.

I am asking because I am on my first gasser with smoke, I will be running a mix of batteries and think the alpha 4 will fill my needs.

Thanks Jerry
Old 01-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by HotDogger

Red will the alpha 4 charge you nimh 1700 over night ? ( How many hours) and will it peak !

See statement from Litco web site below.

How long for the big nicads like 1800 or bigger ? How long ? at 250 Mah.

You have to put in 120% (min) of the rated capacity. For an 1800 mAh pack charged at 250 mA this would take about 9 hours.

I am asking because I am on my first gasser with smoke, I will be running a mix of batteries and think the alpha 4 will fill my needs.

Thanks Jerry
Litco statement re: Ni-MH
WHAT ALPHA4 DEVICES SHOULD I USE FOR CYCLING AND CHARGING NIMH BATTERIES?

Nimh batteries do not develop pronounced voltage peak as nicads do. For this
reason nimh batteries cannot be charged on "A" and "S" devices. These devices
terminate on the onset of negative slope of the voltage versus time curve. They are
therefore peak detectors.
The "I" and "C" devices terminate ahead of voltage peak on the zero slope portion
of the voltage versus time curve. These devices are therefore suitable for processing
nimh batteries.
The "F" and "R" devices are fast charge devices which begin to taper down at 80%
capacity. In theory they should work fine with nimh batteries provided however
that charging nimh batteries at rates above C/10 is recommended by the battery
manufacturer.
To be on the safe side you should use only "I" and "C" devices with nimh batteries.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
sfaust

A typical charge operation for my larger airplanes are for four ports to be in use, with two 2700mah for the receivers, and one 2150mah NiMh ignition battery, and the transmitter battery. The NiMh packs are put on the I or C devices, and the transmitter on the A device. Even after a full day of flying, in the morning, all packs have peaked and are ready for flight.

I have tried NiMH packs on other faster charge devices on the Alpha, and it appears to work. However, I wouldn't recommend it as its not supported by Litco, and they peak may not be detected properly. I only use the faster charge rate devices if it will be monitored closely, and I pull it off charge after the appropriate time if it doesn't peak.