Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

MRC SuperBrain "989" Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Davey G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRC SuperBrain "989" Charger

Hello Everyone,

Here are some of the specs on the very versatile charger from MRC. If you already have one please let me know what you think.

AC/DC Thermal Controlled & Fan Cooled Battery Charger, Including 10 Amp Fan Cooled AC Power Supply

Patented Micro PeakĀ® Technology Included for NiCd & NiMH packs

Charges: 1 to 25 NiCd / NiMH Cells, 1 to 8 Cell Lithium, and 6-24 volt Lead Acid/Gel Cell Batteries

Cell Range of: 100-19,900 mAH

Charge Rate of: 0.1A up to 10.0A for NiCd / NiMH, and 1.2c max for Lithium Cells

Discharge Rate of: 0.1A up to 10.0A with Adjustable Cut-off Range

Adjustable Peak Sensitivity

24 Battery Profile/Memory Storage with Safety Confirmation (MRC SafeGuardā„¢ Technology) & profile history recall

Auto Cycle Mode (1-9 cycles, 1-199 minute delay per cycle) For Battery Conditioning

Adjustable Trickle Charge Feature

Temperature Cutoff Range from 110Ā°-160Ā°F

Motor Break-in Feature with Adjustable Time & Output

1-30VDC 10A (120VA) Adjustable Output for Comm Lathe or Tire Cutter, etc

10A AC Power Supply, Temperature Probe, & Assorted Connectors Included

I am looking forward to hearing your responses on this charger, so far its been selling very very well. Expect to see it on the streets for around $149.99, and YES this does include a stand alone power supply!!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: MRC SuperBrain "989" Charger

Thanks, man. I've had my eye on it. I will get one soon enough.

2 questions:

What is the max power in wattage?

What is the lipo charge routine?

thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Davey G

Hello Everyone,

Here are some of the specs on the very versatile charger from MRC. If you already have one please let me know what you think.

AC/DC Thermal Controlled & Fan Cooled Battery Charger, Including 10 Amp Fan Cooled AC Power Supply

Patented Micro PeakĀ® Technology Included for NiCd & NiMH packs

Charges: 1 to 25 NiCd / NiMH Cells, 1 to 8 Cell Lithium, and 6-24 volt Lead Acid/Gel Cell Batteries

Cell Range of: 100-19,900 mAH

Charge Rate of: 0.1A up to 10.0A for NiCd / NiMH, and 1.2c max for Lithium Cells

Discharge Rate of: 0.1A up to 10.0A with Adjustable Cut-off Range

Adjustable Peak Sensitivity

24 Battery Profile/Memory Storage with Safety Confirmation (MRC SafeGuardā„¢ Technology) & profile history recall

Auto Cycle Mode (1-9 cycles, 1-199 minute delay per cycle) For Battery Conditioning

Adjustable Trickle Charge Feature

Temperature Cutoff Range from 110Ā°-160Ā°F

Motor Break-in Feature with Adjustable Time & Output

1-30VDC 10A (120VA) Adjustable Output for Comm Lathe or Tire Cutter, etc

10A AC Power Supply, Temperature Probe, & Assorted Connectors Included

I am looking forward to hearing your responses on this charger, so far its been selling very very well. Expect to see it on the streets for around $149.99, and YES this does include a stand alone power supply!!
Sounds great, but we would expect no less from MRC marketing. [DAVE GRABOSKI, RC Car Product Manager, Model Rectifier Corporation, [email protected]]

Have you submitted it for review to any of the knowledgeable charger people?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Ross Kean

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield
Have you submitted it for review to any of the knowledgeable charger people?
I strongly agree that an independent review would be very helpful. I know that there were safety related "issues" with a previous MRC charger and I suspect that there will be some reluctance from the market until they manage to get some good unbiased reviews.

I would also like to know the output watt limitatations with various battery configurations. For instance, what is the available amps for 25 nickel cells or 8 LiPOs? Also, is there any provision for charging some of the newer lithium technologies where the termination voltage differs? I assume the discharge cycle creates waste heat rather than putting the charge back into the supply battery (if charging from a 12V Pb instead of a power supply).

I like some of the stuff I saw in the specifications, especially the ability to handle larger LiPO packs that my Triton can't handle.

I skimmed through their on-line manual and didn't see answers to these questions.

Ross
Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Davey G

U-DUD: The max power in Watts is not available, It charges 0.1A up to 10.0A for NiCd / NiMH, and 1.2c max for Lithium Cells. Refer to your battery manual for charging routines.

Red Scholefield: This charger has been submitted to AIRAGE Media, Hi-Torque Pub, Maplegate Media, and Think Omnimedia. RC UNIVERSE has one for review as well.

Ross Kean: I understand the reluctance to buy a lipo charger from MRC, the 977 charger solved all these issues. The 989 can charge ALL of the latest lithium technologies without any issue. The discharge cycle takes away the batteries energy and disposes it as heat.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Ross Kean

U-DUD: The max power in Watts is not available, It charges 0.1A up to 10.0A for NiCd / NiMH, and 1.2c max for Lithium Cells. Refer to your battery manual for charging routines.
The maximum current at various voltages (total watts) is a critical specification for anyone buying a charger; especially a fairly "high-end" instrument like this one. I understand that the maximum charge for NiMH is 10.0 A, but I doubt that it could charge 25 cells (30V nominal) at that rate? That would amount to 1.2V x 10A x 25 cells = 300watts. This would be a 3C charge rate for sub-C 3300's and I wouldn't plan to charge a large nickel pack that fast. It might, however, be useful to charge such a pack at a 2C rate so 200 watts would not be a major stretch for some applications. I have a setup underway that will use 20-22 cells at 3300 mAHr. The newer 4000+ mAHr cells in big packs could easily exceed this total wattage at even less agressive charge rates.

There are some newer Lithium technology cells that can accept a faster than 1C charge rate. Your statement, above, indicates that the charger is limited to 1.2C. I understand the need for safety and why MRC might not want to make a higher rate available without the balancing control necessary to do this without adverse results. I also understand that the manufacturer needs to build in some safeguards to prevent stupid mistakes. It would still be nice to enable faster rates for these cells and possible future cells as they become available. I suppose one could always "tell" the charger that the cell capacity is greater than the actual capacity to force a higher rate. Any response to my question about the ability to charge lithiums that have voltages other than the 3.7 V/cell standard?

Does the charger have upgradability via chip replacement (or flash memory)? Always useful to prevent obsolescence!

I am not trying to shoot down a new and apparently versatile charger - just trying to get enough information to consider whether I might be interested in purchasing this unit anytime in the near future. It seems well thought out with temp probe and 120V PS and the price seems reasonable.

Thanks

Ross
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

You have to be kidding! You dont know the maximum power available for 24 cells?

Red Scholefield: This charger has been submitted to AIRAGE Media, Hi-Torque Pub, Maplegate Media, and Think Omnimedia. RC UNIVERSE has one for review as well.

Submitting for review that will be little more than a repeat of the manufacturers marketing pitch and his specifications is not what the hobby needs. Who are the reviewers and what are their qualifications?

Ross Kean: I understand the reluctance to buy a lipo charger from MRC, the 977 charger solved all these issues. The 989 can charge ALL of the latest lithium technologies without any issue. The discharge cycle takes away the batteries energy and disposes it as heat.

From your manual "The unit applies constant current to charge Lithium until the
battery reaches 4.20V per cell. After that the unit will apply constant voltage to charge Lithium until the battery is fully charged." This is not what is needed for the latest lithium technologies!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

As suspected, one of the reviews, this in FLY RC Magazine Jan 07( Maplegate Media) is nothing more than a verbatim repeat of the Marketing pitch from MRC. No technical content whatsoever regarding the actual performance vs. claims.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88105.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	557959  
Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM
akm

Red have you had a chance to review this charger yet? This looks like a very nice charger for the price. I would be very interested in hearing what you think of it after you review it.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
HangGlide

I just ordered a 989 from my LHS. It is my first charger, to go along with my first car (M-LST). Due to my lack of experience I would not make much of a reviewer. I really wanted to get a top end charger that would charge anything I may upgrade to later. It will only be charging my 6 cell NiMH's for a while.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 PM
rhampton
My Feedback: (66)

Default RE: MRC SuperBrain

i hope someone can help me. i have the MRC Superbrain 989 charger and about a couple of days ago i stated to get charging problems. What happens is when im charging my 5s Lipo 3850mah 20c battery. I set it to Profile 1, Charge Mode, Lipo, 5s, 3850mah and finally 3.5a. Then i hit Start. It starts to charge and then after a minute or 2 the mil goes to 000. it's been doing this all weekend. So therefore i can charge anymore. i had it for a year and never had this problem before. i tried it on other Lipos and the same thing.
Nothing seems to be wrong physically and my power supply is good too. Can anyone provide any feedback on this issue?
No matter what power setting i use it keeps doing the same thing.

Reggie
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 PM
guver

I am not familiar with that error, my advise is to try it on a DC source battery (car battery) or ask in the MRC support forum. It may just have to be sent in for repair.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 PM
rhampton

Thanks. i did try it at the field on a 12v power source battery they have at the field and it did the same thing.
i will call MRC Monday and see if they can repair.
and guess what,,,i just hooked up a 6s and i saw a little smoke comming out the charger. I guess i can assume there is something wrong now? lol

ok what other charger is on the market that i can get for under $100. I use mostly 3s 4000mah and under and i also use 5s same princible.
i saw this link. is this a good charger for a 5 and 6s?
iMax B6 Li-ion / Polymer Balance Charger

http://www.esky-helicopters.com/shop...l?currency=USD
Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 PM
guver

Oops, yae. I guess that means there's something wrong. [X(]

The cherger you linked is a fine charger , but you may want around 100 watts instead of 50 watts. The 3S may use around 50 watts , but in order to charge the 6S as fast it will need 100 watts. The 989 is 106-108 watts. It's an old thread, now we know.

The Triton 2 EQ is pretty good with 100-120 watts.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
rhampton

wow, that 50 extra watts makes a big difference? how faster would a 100w charge a 5 or 6s Lipo compared to a 50w. If my super brain was 100w, i was able to charge my 5s Lipo in an hour so if i get this Imax B6 Charger am i to expect a longer time with this same 5s being that it's only 50w?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 PM
guver

Yes, it will take about twice as long if the charger is maxxed out for power. Twice the power can charge at twice as fast.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 989 last year. It worked beautifully quite a few times, then one night we were charging batteries and working on some planes until somebody mentioned that the packs we'd just charged looked a little puffy. We killed 4 or 5 batteries that night, and MRC claimed their charger had nothing to do with it, as did the hobby store owner. So I took it to his store and charged one of HIS batteries,which promptly puffed up. Nothing was ever done about it, I gave the piece of junk away. Despite several calls, MRC never so much as offered to take a look at it.
I now have a Thunder Power 610C which I HATE, but it doesn't kill batteries. It doesn't finish it's CYCLES half the time, but it doesn't kill anything. I only use NiMh batteries now. Until I have hands-on experience with a charger I can trust completely again, I don't fly electrics and I don't use liPos. Since my faithful old Digipace went to the RC graveyard I'm not too happy. I'm nowhere near the battery man that Red is (wish I was) but I'm no slouch either. It'll be a while until I am willing to trust LiPos again, but I know NiCads and NiMh's well enough.

Jim
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
rhampton

i hear ya man,,,i went and bought a cellpro 10 myself. I still have the 989 and Manufactor offered to fix it for $40 but im just gonna hold off for now. i probably wont fix it being that there's much better chargers out there. Sorry for your experience. When my Lipos shows Signs of puffyness.,,,,,then i stuffyness in the Garbageness...haha...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Clearwater...I'm a former Tampa man myself. You live in a great place, rhampton.

There may be hope. I found a quick-start guide NOT written by the Mfr on another thread for my Thunder power 610C and I'm hoping to get some good results tonight, I'm heading out in a few to do the testing!

Cross anything you can spare to cross! Let's see if we can bring these NiMh's home! CycleCycleCycleCycle.....please....

Jim
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Forget it. The new quick-start guide covered only charging, which was the only thing I wa able to get to work. Nothing about discharging.

****SIGH****
Jim