Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Difference between 1.2v and 1.5v AA's

Just a quick question I'm sure someone here will have the answer to.

I recently purchased some AA and AAA rechargeables to use in my RTF tx's. I also purchased a Picco Z heli which charges off the batts in the tx. I noticed that the NiMH rechargeable batts were only available in 1.2v. I know Alkaline batts are 1.5v.

Is there any loss of performance by using the 1.2v batts and how come they don't make 1.5v NiMH rechargeables??

Thanks.

asinla
    Will work for heli\'s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Difference between 1.2v and 1.5v AA's

Nicad and NiMh rechargeablecells have a nominal voltage of 1.2 V. Fully charged they measure about 1.4 V. Alkaline and other dry cells have a voltage of 1.5 when fresh.

You can use them interchangably in your TX. Either will provide plenty of power.

The difference in voltage of a fresh dry cell and a fully charged nickel based cell is a characteristic of the chemistries. It wasn't planned that way, it's just the way it is.

Hope this helps,
    Flying Geezer

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

Nicad and NiMh rechargeablecells have a nominal voltage of 1.2 V. Fully charged they measure about 1.4 V. Alkaline and other dry cells have a voltage of 1.5 when fresh. But under any significant load they will drop to 1.2 volts or so.

You can use them interchangably in your TX. Either will provide plenty of power. And the alkaline cells (dry cells)have a much more sloping discharge than either the Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh so you can check how much you have left by simply measuring the voltage (or keeping an eye on your transmitter meter if you have one)

The difference in voltage of a fresh dry cell and a fully charged nickel based cell is a characteristic of the chemistries. It wasn't planned that way, it's just the way it is.

Hope this helps,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks so much for that concise and precise explanation. It does make a lot of sense actually now that I look at it like that.

Thanks again

asinla
    Will work for heli\'s