Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LiPo charging and balancing questions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo charging and balancing questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo charging and balancing questions

Ok, I've got a 2 cell and a 3 cell pcak (800 & 1250ma respectivly). The 2 cell pack has always been charged using a balancing charger at 650ma. The 3 cell pack has been charged via the discharge wires at 1A. Both seem to be charging well in between 1 -1 1/2 hours. The 2 cell has a total, no load voltage (straight off the charger) of 8.32v with one cell reading 4.15v and the other reading 4.17v.
The 3 cell has a total, no load voltage of 12.48v with each cell reading 4.16v
Both batteries are physically perfect, cooled before charging and kept cool during the charge process and seem to give very good performance and run times.

My questions;
I've read that the nominal full charge voltage shold be 4.2v. Are my slightly lower readings a problem or concern?
Is the .02v difference in the 2 cell individual cell voltages something to be concerned about. And what's the point of using a balance charger if it does not charge the cells to the same voltage?
Does it really matter if I charge with the discharge wires as long as I stay at or below the 1C charge rate?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
96td

Default RE: LiPo charging and balancing questions

THEY ARE GOOD QUESTIONS THAT I NEEDED TO KNOW. DID YOU RECEIVE AN ANSWER YET?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
everydayflyer

Default RE: LiPo charging and balancing questions

4.2 per cell is considered 100% state of charge however most chargers do not charge that high. They may reach that while charging however if you check 15min. after charging most likely range would be 4.14 -4.17 per cell.

4.14 = 94% / 4.17 = 97%

An imbalance of 0.02 volts is fine. Most do not become concerned unleess it is 0.04 or more.