Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NIMH or LIPO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:31 AM
glowfuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIMH or LIPO?

Discussion - NIMH or LIPO?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a 9-cell 650 mah AAA nimh battery pack in the new Heli-Max AXE CP.

This battery give good flight time, but would like a little more.

Was looking at the Electrifly 3S 11.1 vdc 910 mah 15 C pack that they recommend, but also am looking at a 3S 11.1 vdc 1500mah 8C pack.

They are close to the same size, but am not sure which to go with or possibly something different. Any suggestions? Will this really increase my flight time more than what is already given from the standard 9-cell 650 mah NIMH pack?

Is Lipo the way to go or should I just build a 1000mah AAA 9-cell pack and be done with it?

Also, by running a LIPO, will this shorten the life of the two electric motors?

Thanks......
Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: NIMH or LIPO?

Lipo

Stay with good brands of lipo that give bursts to 20c, have yet to beat quality of Thunder Power and no longer try. The lipo packs are lighter and give more power, thats the name of the game in electric 3-D. If you are not running a brushless of good quality, you are waistng your money on junk. A good brushless like Hacker or AXI will run almost through your lifetilme if not damaged by crashes. The cheep can motors when pushed to 3-D performance only live a few flights Yes, thety are cheep, but thats what you get. I generally get 16 minutes with a Hacker 20-20L, Phoenix 25 controller powered by a Tunder Power 1320 in a rcx planes yak 54. There is always another minute or two, but I land when the 16 minute timer gos off. All of the system except the airframe is several years old, used frequently and just never lets me down. My AXI give about the same overall performance. Can not go wrong with either motor,Hacker IMHO is a little better quality brand and a good overall value. ENJOY
Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 AM
glowfuel

rmenke:

Thanks for the info. Although you make valid points, just because something doesn't run 'brushless', that doesn't designate it to be junk. A good lipo pack will bring this bird to life, plus the brushed motors should last quite awhile and are inexpensive to replace, if needed.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM
DaveG55

Personally, I'd go with lipo's. The weight savings alone is worth the cost. Not to mention that lipo's don't have the "fade" that nimah's do. They give very good performance right to the end of the charge. Just take care not to discharge them too far and use care when recharging them.
If Heli-Maxx reccomends a 15C discharge battery don't go with anything less. Higher is fine, less would be bad for the battery.
Also, don't take offense at glowfuel's comments. While some brushed motors may not be "junk" going brushless will amaze you. My experence is more in cars but I too resisted going brushless thinking it could not be "all that". Well, it is and I think that is all he was trying to say.