Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

6.0V Receiver Packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0V Receiver Packs

Most systems will accomodate a 5 cell (6 volt) pack with no problems.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:35 PM
wrhardin

The only thing I have noticed when using 6v packs is when you first turn the plane on you may notice a little servo jitter. This is because the 'no load' voltage of the pack is higher than 6v and it takes a second or two for this excess voltage to bleed off
Old 09-14-2002, 03:59 PM
FHHuber
Banned

PCM radios with low voltage failsafe (throttle channel goes to no signal recieved position on some PCM systems at appx 3.9 v) will essentially have that failsafe disabled. The low voltage setting for the failsafe isn't settable for 6.0 v packs. (at 3.9 v when you've got a 6 volt RX pak... you have about 5 sec to land it.)

If using 6 v RX pack... get a heavy duty switch harness. The standard can have the wires overheat, melting insulation... short-out and you're done. The servo motors can draw more amps due to the higher voltage and resistance not changing. (E=IR)
Old 09-15-2002, 06:07 AM
wrhardin

Good point fhhuber. To be honest, I hadn't even thought how the 6v pack would effect a pcm. Thanks for the info.I'm sure all of us can use all the good tips we can get.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:43 AM
00hex

As fhhuber said current (I) is proportional to voltage (E) when the resistance is constant. With 25% more voltage (5 cells instead of 4) you get 25% more current, so the battery life will be about 20% less. But here's the really bad part - power is proportional to voltage SQUARED. This means that the servos may be somewhat stronger. It also means that everything - switches, motors, the electronics in the servo - will produce about 50% more heat (not good!).