Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

New CSRC lipo's - need to verify settings

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New CSRC lipo's - need to verify settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 AM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CSRC lipo's - need to verify settings

I got the new v2 lipos, which is very nice by the way, now I don't have to worry about unhooking the end and changing the polarity. I double checked it and it will hook up with the equinox straight across (same as e-flite). Thank you guys for the insight, and being willing to change your product =)

The batts I got were 1250mAh 3s 8c lipo's. My charger does not have that setting (it's the ICE charger, basically the same thing as a triton), so here are my ideas... To charge it about a 1C rate, I can set the charger for 1300mAh, and for a max charge of 100% even, because this would allow for up to a 4% over charge on the 1250mAh pack. Does this sound right? Also I was wondering, the packs say they are good for up to 2 amps charge rate. My charger wont charge above 1C... so would this be basically the same thing? Set the battery capacity for 2000mAh, but set the max charge amount to 60% (which would be 1200mAh max the charger would put into the pack), or I could set the battery to 1800mAh and set the max charge to 70%, which would give me 1260mAh max charge amount. Anyways I was wondering if this idea is right... or if I am missing something. I also have a thermal probe that is set for 90F.

I guess this leads to the next q. Does charging the battery at the full 2A shorten the life, and it is better to just charge at 1C (1250mA)?

Also I think I remember reading on your site somewhere that it is good to condition the batteries before you use them. I couldn't find it again... so I was wondering if someone could just tell me if this is correct. charge first at 1/2C until full, let rest for a bit and then discharge at 2c till 3.2v per cell and repeat this 2 or 3 times?

BTW thanks for the great website. I went with you guys because you just plain know your stuff, it's not just guess work, or it works just because, like so many distributors RC hobby. I've read several of your write-ups and they are right on the money from what I know. Secondly, your price is hard to beat =) Keep up the good work!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: New CSRC lipo's - need to verify settings

Hello-

We recommend you charge a .5C for the first 3 charges and discharge at 2c.. I think the link you may be looking for is this: http://www.commonsenserc.com/most_life_lipos.pdf

Now, I like to charge my packs at as low a C as I can, if I am not in a hurry to go fly.. If I know I'll be flying say tomorrow, I will set my packs to charge at .5C or less, as it is easier on them.. I never charge my packs at over 1C..

Can you set the ICE to say a 68% charge on a 1800mah pack? I do not have the ICE and am not totally familiar with it.. If you could do this, that would be what I would probably do on my own packs..

Also, thank you for the kind words, we do what we can to help.. After all, we are just modellers too...

Jeff
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 AM
Tram

Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Tram

repost..
Old 03-31-2007, 03:03 AM
mrasmm

Yup that's it... that's what I was looking for =)

The Ice will allow you to charge at different rates, and the step is 100mA. It would be alot nicer if it was 50mA =P. Battery capacities are also in steps of 100mA.

So set the charger for either a 1200mA or a 1300mA pack and then charge the 1250mAh pack around 800mA or less when I have the extra time and am not flying right away? And then if I need it quicker charge at 1C (either 1.2A or 1.3A)?

Is that pretty much what you were saying?

Btw Thanks for the reply =)
Old 03-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Tram

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying..
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM
mrasmm

thanks for the help!