Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

The best LiPo containment system I've seen

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

The best LiPo containment system I've seen

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best LiPo containment system I've seen

A friend, John Snyder up in Atlanta sent me this idea. It is the best I've seen and the price is right!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65254.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	689307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65946.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	689308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87935.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	689309  
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
robflyer82
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: The best LiPo containment system I've seen

Nice, I need something like that. Where did you get the tile? Is it just the class A ones you can find at hardware stores?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

I don't know where John got them, probably Home Depot or Lowes. Just ask for fire retardant tile.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Red,

Do both pieces come together when purchased?

Or is the part w/handle something seperate from the tile?
Where would we find that part?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Gigaah

It is two(or three) seperate items.

A fire tile, a ceramic flowerpot(from walmart he says) and a metal drawer handle probably from homedepot attached to the flower pot. oh..some washers too it looks like
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Sorry guys, this is not a commercially made item. It is something that a modeler could easily do. If you have to have someone put an ARF together for you, then this is not for you.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Gigaah

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Sorry guys, this is not a commercially made item. It is something that a modeler could easily do. If you have to have someone put an ARF together for you, then this is not for you.
ROFL
You should be posting stuff like that while I'm drinking soda..you should know better..now I have to clean the soda off my monitor!

On another note. I use a $10 metal cash type lock box I got a walmart or where ever. Best thing is its RTF.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gigaah

ROFL
You should be posting stuff like that while I'm drinking soda..you should know better..now I have to clean the soda off my monitor!

On another note. I use a $10 metal cash type lock box I got a walmart or where ever. Best thing is its RTF.
You should see my keyboard after I read the message with the question - where do I buy it? . [:'(]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
avioniks

ORIGINAL: Gigaah
ROFL

RTF = Ready to Flame?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Very neat, do you need something like that for Ion batteries? or are they less apt to catch fire.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

For a 'moderator' to post such a crass message is in very poor taste!
Just posting some pictures with NO details invites questions as to how to build it & where to get the supplies.

So jump off your high horse & view it as those who see it like a newbie.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

For what it's worth, I use a pair of cinderblocks/cement blocks sitting on a concrete basement/garage floor. The ones with three sections give you three nice compartments for the batteries and the second block gives you a good cover/lid with pressure relief. To charge I just sit the top block a little to one side to allow the connecting wires to pass through.
It isn't pretty but it is cheap and, I believe, just as effective as many other methods I have seen.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: tail strike

Very neat, do you need something like that for Ion batteries? or are they less apt to catch fire.
\
Probably more so when you consider Li Ion are in a sealed metallic can. When they let go they have a lot more pressure to contend with, just like Ni-cds or Ni-Mh. Yes, all of these have some kind of safety vent, but the vent may get clogged with molten separator and disabled - then you are looking at something like a 300 psi burst.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: JL1

For what it's worth, I use a pair of cinderblocks/cement blocks sitting on a concrete basement/garage floor. The ones with three sections give you three nice compartments for the batteries and the second block gives you a good cover/lid with pressure relief. To charge I just sit the top block a little to one side to allow the connecting wires to pass through.
It isn't pretty but it is cheap and, I believe, just as effective as many other methods I have seen.
Could you be a little more specific on how you do this? Does it matter if they are cinder or cement blocks, would ones with just two sections work? If I have one cinder block and one cement block which should be on top? For the humor challenged and those with single digit IQs I am kidding of course!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: JL1

I've had a couple ARF's made from cinder / cement that I could use for this purpose.
Now if I can find someone to build them for me. .