Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A123 cell self-discharge rate?

I've read posts that say I don't have to top off my batteries before a flight even if it's been several days since I charged them.

I've also been told that they discharge faster in higher temperatures. So I did a bit of study on self-discharge and found that many LiPOs discharge as much as 5%/month.

I'm also thinking about using the A123 cells for other applications that need long-term power in remote places. I want to keep spare packs around, but don't know how fast they will discharge by themselves.

Sooooo, maybe Brian can tell me the rate of discharge at various temperatures of at least at room temperature.

Thanks for the help.

Spud J Dog

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A123 cell self-discharge rate?

according to our tesing, for 2.3AH high rate LiFe cell, the self-discharge rate is 4% of rated capacity per 28days,

the advantage of LiFe cell is safety, the size is bigger than the LiPo cell with the same capacity. for back-up application, this is a shortcoming.

more information, contact me at jasonwang3a@163.com
    Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A123 cell self-discharge rate?

Hello Spud,

Jason's information is pretty close. We rate the cells at 5% cpacity loss per month. You could easily charge the battery on a Monday and use it on a Saturday. The lost capacity would be negligible. You could leave a pack all winter and it would still perform fairly well right out of the closet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Power . Safety . Life