Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

24v float charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 AM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24v float charger

I have a q about some SLA's, I know it's not exactly RC, but I figured that someone here would know and it would be a good place to ask it, so I hope it is ok.

Basically what I have is an option between the cordless weed eaters out ther. The problem is the people that are going to be using this weed eater do not know much about batteries or how to take care of them. I figured that NiCD packs would be really bad for this because you have to watch how long they go on the charger, and you have to make sure to charge them afte every use, and make sure they don't drain too low, all of which the people that are going to be using this wont be able to manage. Also replacement NiCD's are quite expensive for these trimmers. I was thinking a fish timer on the wall wart charger for like 30 min to an hour a day might work, but then you would need atleast 7 to 10 days for the batteries to come up to charge, and the SLA float charge just seemed like a better option.

So basically I was thinking SLA because they are more durable, and I could rig up a float charger system so that they can leave it plugged in all the time, and whenever they are not using it, it will be on the charger. Here's the thing, there is basically one 12v SLA model that I have been able to find, and two 24v models. I don't really know where to go to get a reasonably priced 24v float charger that could charge two 3.5Ah 12v SLA packs in series. It has to be in series though because modifying the actual trimmer voids the warranty, and trying to rig up something so you could charge the two packs in parallel wouldn't work because the people using this are not going to know enough of how to switch the wiring. It really just needs to be a plug and play thing.

So what I was thinking is for the 12v SLA, any float charger that is like 2 amps or so would work, like this one for example available at walmart for under 20 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM.../dp/B0009IBJAS

I could just make an adaptor that will fit that DC power plug that will plug directly into the 12v weed eater. If I remember right those DC power plugs can take up to 2 amps? Here is the 12v model I am talking about, the ad says $70, but it's actually only $49. It has a 12v 7Ah SLA
http://www.amazon.com/Toro-12-Volt-B...3713962&sr=8-3

here are the two 24v models
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...views.start=11
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...views.start=41

I was thinking I could do the same thing with either of those if I could find a float charger for 24v SLA's that wouldn't charge too fast for a 3.5Ah setup, and it would be really nice too if it could switch from 12v to 24v to dual as a backup automotive charger.

I was just looking to see if what I was thinking will work ok, or if someone else can think of a problem with it, or a better way to do it. Also I was wondering if someone can recommend to me a good 12 or 24 or 12 and 24 volt float charger that wont break the bank =)

Thanks!

I hope it is ok that I ask this here, because I need to figure something out, and I'm sure several people here would know. Also I wouldn't know where else to ask this kind of a q, like a different forum or something.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 AM
noguy

Default RE: 24v float charger

mrassm, I dont now if I will be much help, as I dont think I can offer much about the SLA float side of things. Google didn't lead me to much more than you were already aware of.

However the funny coincidence is that I own the trimmer you have linked last. The A.G. 24v. I have had it for almost 5 years now. I leave it on the charger at all times. I cannot say how this has affected the batteries cycle charictaristics though. As this little guy zips through my whole front and back yard in one charge no prob. I edge about 125-150 linear feet.. I trim along about 60' of fence around a half dozen trees. I also trim around 100' of house and around about a dozen sprinklers. Sometimes I even go crazy on the Ivy that grows on one of my trees once in a while. ~Two to four times a month (9 months out of the year). I dont think I can remember it ever not making it through my yard in a single charge and it still pulls it off 5 years later. I wore out two line spools where you bump it on the ground to feed the line already, and the batteries seem to be holding out just fine. At under a $100 I was glad the thing went for a couple of years. Cool little wacker. Not the most powerful thing but it does the job for my small 50x100 lot.

ANYWAYS, I think my point is that maybe this thing has a small built in SLA circuit; or for some reason doesn't need one. Because of the duration I have gotten out of my batt's, this things longevity has more than impressed me. And at < $100. [8D]

Either way good luck with the project! Noah
Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM
mrasmm

Default RE: 24v float charger

noguy, thanks for the review =) that actually helps out a good bit. Many people in the reviews had complained about the battery, but I just figured that they didn't know how to treat a battery, and they either didn't put it right back on the charger every time, or the company included a cheap CV charger, or that people were just running the trimmer for way too long =P

Sounds like if it is designed to sit on the charger all the time, it would have to be some sort of float charger, or it would fry the pack real quick =)

btw I should have mentioned this in the first post, but SLA means sealed lead acid So it's basically the same thing as a feild battery.