Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Sub-C batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM
pkevinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub-C batteries

I got a 4 cell, 2700 mAh, 4.8V, NiMh battery for a new plane and have some questions. I have a Hobbico AccuCycle Elite charger and was wondering if I can charge this battery just like my 4 cell AA packs? I thought I was getting a AA pack and don't know anything about the Sub-C batteries.

Any information will be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Capt Lou

Default RE: Sub-C batteries

pkevinb:

I'm not an expert in this area so the first thing I do is read the instructions that came with my Accu-Cycle Elite. According to the instructions, you only need to be concerned with: 1.) the battery type (Nicd, Nimh, Lipo, etc); 2.) total rated capacity ("mah"); and 3.) nominal rated voltage. There is no requirment to enter battery size (A, AA, AAA, C, D, etc). Just program the above factors into the charger with respect to your battery and you should be able to charge your sub C batteries.

For your information, I have never given any thought or concern to battery size. I have used my Accu-Cycle Elite to charge a sub C glow driver and have repeatedly done this with no adverse consequence. If you want to call Hobbico to discuss this issue, their telephone number is 217-398-0007.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Sub-C batteries

yeah, what he said =)

just make sure to watch the heat and the charge rate. If you go too fast on the smaller packs they get really hot. 1C or 2.7A in your case would be a good place to start. If they get much over about 100F turn the charge rate down. If they stay under 100F, just use the 1C charge rate =)