Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

charging ?'s i know i know but still learning

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

charging ?'s i know i know but still learning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging ?'s i know i know but still learning

ok, i took a dewalt pak and made 2 5s packs for my emaxx. now i ran my first run and found out that eventhough they read 16.5volts, there wasn't but a few minutes of run time there. so i started charging them using my nicd/nimh/lipo/lion charger on the lion setting for 5 cells. after about 1min, the charger said low voltage and stopped charging. after resetting with same result, i tried 4s setting which peaks at 16.4xx volts. the charger would only charge at .5amps i'm guessing because it thinks the pack is almost full. now i then try lipo setting and using 4s pack setting once again, i'm charging faster and it peaks in around 16.7xx volts. i haven't tried 5s setting for lipo, but this false peak reading that is slowing my charger down is not going to work for me. i want a faster charge and if i can get it out of my charger until i buy a better suited unit that would be great. do most of you that charge watching voltage, set the charger to match cells, or go under one cell? (5s lipo for 5s a123, or 4s lipo for 5s a123)? also, i'm wondering if i would get an undervoltage protection using the lipo setting like i did on lion setting or are the charge charistics different?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
everydayflyer

Default RE: charging ?'s i know i know but still learning

Charged a 5S would be 18 volts.
Cheap way to charge if you have a decent Ni charger

http://slkelectronics.com
LiPoDapter

I use a AF 109 ,TP 1010C ,Dapters and Ni Charger (AF 112 PK ) and for 3S only a Zip Charger.

Charles
Old 10-17-2007, 08:12 PM
tashspop

that might be my solution. i'll look into it and wait for more replies. i wish there were a sticky that listed all found charging practices using these cells.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
everydayflyer

Here is a hint. There are atleast 50 times more post on using A123s on RC Groups Batteries and Chargers than her on RCU. I refer to this area as the Dead Zone.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=A123+Charge
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 AM
tashspop

thank you, i just read some people refering to that site from another forum i use.