Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Question about Extra Cell in RX pack

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Question about Extra Cell in RX pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:43 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Extra Cell in RX pack

I'm a real noob when it comes to these RX packs. I bought a used radio at a swap meet a while back and I found that the guy has put an extra cell in the RX pack. He told me it pushed the servos a little harder? Is this true? I've got the setup in a plane of mine and the whole thing is pretty snappy. I haven't had any problems with it.

My question being, can I do this to my one of my hitec setups? It looks like a standard 600mAH 4 cell pack. Would adding another cell give it some more power? It's a simple Focus 4 with HS300 servos, very basic, but It would be nice to get a little bit quicker movement from them.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:10 PM
six shooter

Default Question about Extra Cell in RX pack

The only way you can get more power is by putting in a bigger engine

For practical purposes, you will not notice, any improvement with an extra cell in your application.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:42 PM
gfogel

Default yes

Yes, if you use a 5-cell pack instead of a 4-cell, you now have more power to output to your servos. You should read the manufacturer's recommendation to determine the max voltage Rx pack you can safely use.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Pros and cons of 4 vs 5 cell packs for rx

4 vs 5 cells for receiver packs

· 4 cells cost less
· 4 cells are more reliable than 5 (more parts/connections = less reliability)
· 4 cells give you longer flying time than 5 cells of equal capacity
· 4 cells are lighter
· 4 cells put less stress on radio and servo components (unless regulator is employed)

· 5 cells give you faster servo response
· 5 cells allow for voltage regulation to give you constant servo response.
· 5 cells give you a margin of safety if one cell shorts (but this is a rare occurrence in flight – if you don’t do an ESV check before you start flying, then you deserve what you get.)

Usually same charger that comes with your radio system will accommodate both 4 and 5 cells, for 5 cells the charge may take slightly longer. A standard Futaba Charger will charge 5 cells at about 40 mA, whereas it charges a 4 cell pack at 55 mA. For 5 cells charge 20% longer.

All present day radio systems seem to accommodate 5 cell receiver packs without problems.