Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
gapple12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery chatter?

I recently switched from 4.8 volt batteries to 6.0 volt batteries. After forming them I put them in the plane and turned everything on. The servos seem to chatter when I let the controls go to 0 deflection for about a second or two. It is not every time but pretty close to it. Is this normal? Do I need a regulator? I am running six metal geared High Torque Futaba servos and one Jr 8711a on my controls. Any ideas?? Do I need to cycle them?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
mrasmm

Default RE: Battery chatter?

looks like the JR is fine
DS8711 ULTRA TORQUE SERVO
Specs
Type: Digital Ultra Torque
Torque: 347 oz/in @ 4.8V, 403 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .19 sec/60° @ 4.8V, .15 sec/60° @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): .82" x 1.58" x 1.56"
Weight: 2.36 oz
Gears: Metal alloy
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Tec...rodID=JRPS8711

is that one chattering too (the JR)? What model futaba servo's do you have?

my guess is maybe some of the servo's are not rated for 5 cells, but if you've already checked that, that's a weird one to me. Have you tried putting the 4.8v back in there to see if it still does it then?

Have you ruled out all possibilities of interference?

sorry I don't really have a straight definative answer, hopefully you get it figured out though.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM
MR G

It is normal for servos to chatter a little bit when turning a 6v system on with a battery that just came off a charger.
the battery voltage just off the charger could be as high as 7.3 or 7.4 volts. The servos will settle down in a few minutes when the battery discharges slightly.

IMHO

MR G
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
gapple12

Well, I thought that too about the voltage needing to drop a little, so I discharged them a bit and it got better but still does it. My Futaba servos are the S3305 High Torque Metal gear servos which say they can run on the 6 volt. When I put the 4.8 volt batteries back in, it goes away completely. This is weird....... Could I have bad batteries?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Ryan CSRC

There is nothing wrong with your battery, the servos are just hyperactive because of all the extra voltage. Higher volts is harder on the servos, but I personally have never had one fail because of the higher volts. All the servos you are using are rated for 6v so I think they will be fine.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys For Electric Power
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
gapple12

Ok, well I think it is such a small movement that it shouldn't effect the plane, but just wanted to make sure before I flew. Thanks for the help.