Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

mAh... Is more better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:31 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mAh... Is more better?

I'm shopping for a Rx battery, I need a 4.8V 600 mAh (I think) for a Futaba 7 ch. rx.
Wouls a 4.8V 1000mAh battery be better?
Old 04-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: mAh... Is more better?

Originally posted by Backwing
I'm shopping for a Rx battery, I need a 4.8V 600 mAh (I think) for a Futaba 7 ch. rx.
Wouls a 4.8V 1000mAh battery be better?
Longer run time on a charge, but shorter overall service life. 700 mAh packs are pretty much the standard now for Sanyo 4XAA 4.8 volt packs. Readily available for good price from Radical R/C.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:56 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

The other thing I'm learning is that a larger (higher MAH rated) battery might be nice for longer run times, but you have to consider the charge time. The bigger batteries take longer to charge, so if you're relying on a wall wort, you'll have to plan farther ahead.

Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 02:50 AM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: mAh... Is more better?

Originally posted by redscho
Longer run time on a charge, but shorter overall service life. 700 mAh packs are pretty much the standard now for Sanyo 4XAA 4.8 volt packs. Readily available for good price from Radical R/C.
Red, why the overall shorter service life for the
higher mah battery packs?

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:10 PM
ssketer4
My Feedback: (4)

Good question. I would be interested in this also, since I'm using 700's and considering going to 1000's!
Old 04-02-2003, 01:38 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default How often to change?

I have a 6 cell 1900mah pack about two years old and has about 100 flights on it. I wall charge it and then peak it most times I go flying.
About two times a year I Discharge and re-peak using a charger designed to do so.
No I have not kept track of mah's and the history of the battery like you should.
Now to answer my own question, the battery cost is under $30-40, plane cost around $2000. Change it every year before it bites you!
Thanks
RORO
Old 04-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: Re: Re: mAh... Is more better?

Originally posted by JCOKEEFE
Red, why the overall shorter service life for the
higher mah battery packs?

Thank you.
Simple - its the old story of 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag. To cram in more active material (capacity) into the same cell size means something has to give. You wind it tighter, putting more stress on thinner separator = higher short rates in a given period of time.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:08 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Bigger

Below are a couple of quotes from the Sirius webpage. I am not saying this is the only way to do this, or necessarily the best way, it's just what has worked for the last two seasons for me. My point is, I use the smallest pack that makes sense and charge often. Saves weight too! Like someone mentioned, plane value $2~5000, battery cost $25. Any questions

Charging between flights is easy, and takes only a few minutes. Then, every time you take off, you have freshly filled batteries.
Or, do like we do, and charge EVERY flight. It's completely safe, because the digital computers will deliver only enough energy to charge your batteries exactly full; no more, no less. Then, every time you take off, you have freshly filled batteries.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:42 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

You will get more fly time out of a larger milli amp pack. If weight is a concern then stay with the smaller packs. I have often gone to larger packs if I need weight in the nose to bring balance in. I have also plugged two packs together to get balance to come in. I hate to put lead on a plane when a bigger battery will do.