Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging Rate for a Ni-Mih Battery Pack

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging Rate for a Ni-Mih Battery Pack

Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 AM
styk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Rate for a Ni-Mih Battery Pack

Hi Guys
anybody help me out with this I have a 4200 mah Ni-Mih 4.8v sub c receiver pack and i plan to charge it at home for the recommended 14 to 16 hours at 400 mah but for the nice days in the summer when i will be at the flying field for much longer i would like to top it up with a fast charge Can anybody tell me what is the maximum safest charge i could put into it My charger is a Jamara X220 that can charge up to 5amps hope someone can help me out here
All the best
Styk
Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Charging Rate for a Ni-Mih Battery Pack

After a couple forming charges you can typically fast charge a good NiMh battery at 1C or 4 Amp/hours in your case. It would be more helpful though if you told us what battery cell is used in your pack. All batteries are not built the same.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM
styk

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

After a couple forming charges you can typically fast charge a good NiMh battery at 1C or 4 Amp/hours in your case. It would be more helpful though if you told us what battery cell is used in your pack. All batteries are not built the same.
Thanks for your quick reply rcairflr I haven't got a clue what cell it is as the heatshrink is covering it up Here is a link to the actual battery It is distributed in the UK by Ripmax
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...Category=O0500

Hope you can help
All the best
Styk
Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Depending on how big of hurry you are in to charge your battery, a safe bet is to charge at a 1/5C rate, in your case that would be 800mA. If you decide to charge at a 1C rate of 4 A/H monitor your battery for excessive heat while charging.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 PM
styk

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

Depending on how big of hurry you are in to charge your battery, a safe bet is to charge at a 1/5C rate, in your case that would be 800mA. If you decide to charge at a 1C rate of 4 A/H monitor your battery for excessive heat while charging.
Thanks for that rcairflr Much appreciated
Styk