Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging 6.0 with 4.8 charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Piddler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging 6.0 with 4.8 charger

Can I charge my 6.0 Volt Ni-cad with a 4.8 Volt charger?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
richrd

Default RE: Charging 6.0 with 4.8 charger

Yes and maybe not It may overcharge aka overheat the battery. It may ruin the charger etc. etc. If you have any volt, current or watt meter you can verfy if all is good. I call these questions ,,, a loaded question,,, an very hard to do online not knowing what you know. So if you can not verfy current then do not do this. Fire or smoke...
Rich
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Piddler

Ok, I won't use the 4.8V charger.

I believe I have figured out what to do. I forgot about my field charger. It charges several different kinds of batteries. I will just charge it at a low amp rate (.2). When it reaches 95% of the capacity it trickle charges to full capacity. I have a Quick Field Charger MKII.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTZ5&P=0

Thanks,

Brad
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

Are you talking about an Rx pack? I charge mine on my Intellipeak at .5a for 600mah, and 1a for an 1100mah pack. Works fine. Stay below 1c/1A and you should be safe.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Piddler

The Rx.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nearly all wall warts, the ones that come with rc systems, will be quite adequate in charging your 5 cell batteries, it will just take a bit longer and WILL NOT damage either the charger nor the battery. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good advice on the use of wall warts. Very often, charging with this type charger will be far easier on your battery and give you longer life (more charge/discharge cycles) than you will get using a fast charger.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Be very carefull when charging SMALL milli amp. batteries with a REAL BIGGER automatic charger. Some of the bigger chargers will cut down to trickle charge @ the correct voltage. FINE!

However they MAY NOT be smart enough to reduce the trickle rate to a low enough milli amp rate. Result is a continously overcharged battery that does NOT heat up. BUT. Is quickly killing the battery. My GWS NIMH _ NICAD does over charge on small cells while on trickle charge.

Trickle charge rate is no lower than 50 milli amps. DEATH on a fully charged 600 ma. receiver pack.
I have a special resistor SIZED to limit trickle to 5 milli amp.

Rich
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Piddler

The Manual says that if you charge the battery at less than 500mA the trickle rate is set at 0.
If you charge at 500mA to 1 amp the trickle rate is set at 50mA. I have a 1100mah 6v battery, so I should be good to go charging at 1 amp.

Thanks to everyone for helping me understand this,

Brad