Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

triton charger question / problem

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

triton charger question / problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:05 PM
rotortiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default triton charger question / problem

I just got it and wanted to use it to automatically discharge and charge my 8 cell 500 Mah TX battery 3 times.

I set it up in the Memory[01] and started the discharge to charge cycle and read the book and it says on page 12 near the pbottom of the page that the cutoff voltage is fixed in this mode to 0.8V and is not adjustable (bummer).

On page 11, 3rd paragraph says that

"Note: When discharging TX and Rx radio batteries, the discharge cutoff voltage should be set 1.1 volts per cell. .... Do NOT attempt to discharge cells to voltage lower than recommended."

So this means I can not use this discharge to charge cycle technique safely and have it cut off at the recommended 8.8 volts as it is fixed at .8V so it would take it to 6.4 volts which is too low (not recommended).

I even tried faking it and saying that I had 11 cells thinking it would take it down to just 8.8 volts in this mode and adjusting the discharge rate from the recommended 1.1 to .8 to get it to 8.8 but for some reason that did not work either.

THe cutoff voltage does work for a simple dischage just not for the cycle function.

Is there any way around this or should I just ignore the TX/RX voltage warning and let it cycle down to 6.4 volts (.8v) per cell?

Why the heck they made a computer controlled charger that can do everything but can not cycle to a selected voltage is beyond me......

WHat am I missing (other than a brain)?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: triton charger question / problem

Originally posted by rotortiller
I just got it and wanted to use it to automatically discharge and charge my 8 cell 500 Mah TX battery 3 times.

I set it up in the Memory[01] and started the discharge to charge cycle and read the book and it says on page 12 near the pbottom of the page that the cutoff voltage is fixed in this mode to 0.8V and is not adjustable (bummer).

On page 11, 3rd paragraph says that

"Note: When discharging TX and Rx radio batteries, the discharge cutoff voltage should be set 1.1 volts per cell. .... Do NOT attempt to discharge cells to voltage lower than recommended."

So this means I can not use this discharge to charge cycle technique safely and have it cut off at the recommended 8.8 volts as it is fixed at .8V so it would take it to 6.4 volts which is too low (not recommended).

I even tried faking it and saying that I had 11 cells thinking it would take it down to just 8.8 volts in this mode and adjusting the discharge rate from the recommended 1.1 to .8 to get it to 8.8 but for some reason that did not work either.

THe cutoff voltage does work for a simple dischage just not for the cycle function.

Is there any way around this or should I just ignore the TX/RX voltage warning and let it cycle down to 6.4 volts (.8v) per cell?

Why the heck they made a computer controlled charger that can do everything but can not cycle to a selected voltage is beyond me......

WHat am I missing (other than a brain)?
You are missing nothing, the Triton instructions on the other hand are missing a bit in several areas. There is no problem discharging down to 0.8 volts/cell at the discharge rates you will be using.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:40 AM
rotortiller

Default Thanks and one more question

Thanks that helps to know that the doc is a bit messed up. I will let it cycle and ignore the warning for RX and TX battery cutoff voltages.

My other question is still about the Triton charger. It is about the Peak Sensitivity setting.

They say for
NICD to set it 8-10 mV per cell and
NiMH to 3-5 mV per cell
on the addendum sheet they give.

But in the manual it says
NICD 5-20mV and
NiMH 3-15mV per cell.

Question #1 Which is it 8-10 or 5-20 NiCD?
Question #2 Which is it 3-15 or 5-20 NiMH?

Question #3 (And most important) These say "per cell", so does that mean if I am charging a 7 cell 600 mAh NiMH battery do I set it for 10mV on the Triton chargerr or for 7*10mV since it is 7 cells. So do I set it to 10mV or to 70mV?

In the second case the legal range would be
7*(3 to 15) or 21-1005mV for a 7 cell pack?
7*(5 to 20) or 35 to 140 mV for a 7 cell pack?

Right now I have it at 8mV total as the entry for the 7 cell battery on the Titron menus and it seems to cut out charging early. The battery gets a little warm but only about 84 degrees. I have the temp probe set to 125 degrees.

Comment - the temp probe is a poor design. Of my 8 different batteries it does not fit any of them as they are all too tightly bound and there is not enough space between the cells to fit the probe. I had to remove the keeper/preasure leg and I just put the temp sensor agains the outside of one of the batteries and use a rubberband to secure it. It might read a bit cool but it is better than nothing.

Thanks for your help.